1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

check this price out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 1, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

one of my customers came out this morning and told me she was approached by two commercial lawn companies, big name, that i wont mention. they both "evaluated" her lawn, and gave quotes. she has damage from fungus, a few areas like 5x5 dead. the property is 4k. both stated that aeration was unneccesary. both stated that dethatching/poweraking were unnecesary. both gave her quotes for powerseeding. her 4 k prop, to be slice seeded at 5lbs per k, were $265, and $285. wow. unreal. this sound high to you? also, i didn't realize these types of companies (you know who i mean) did door to door advertising, and i didn't realize they were so expensive. i thought they were the lowballers of the industry
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I think they are lowballers on certain services to get in the door, then they slam you on things they deem a 'necessity.'
  3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Bobby, back in the late 80's when I worked with True Green we were high priced until we knew there was some competition on the yard...then we would drop our shorts to get the business.

Besides, why does one of your customers have damage to her lawn? I figured you of all people would have all the lawns in perfect shape by now... :D

4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I think that is a tricky marketing tactic. Tell people you don't need a certain service (aerating,dethatching) that you know other's will be trying to push. Reson being, it makes them look like the honest guy, although they are not in fact.

Then when you come along, and say they need aerating or dethatching, you seem like a crook trying to sell them anything, and they run back to the "Honest" guy.

yeah, it does seem high though, i agree. just some thoughts
  5. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't it seem fishy to you that TWO companies approached her out of the blue and told her the same thing? Sounds like your customer has called them to come look at some problems that are worrying her--Maybe you have told her that these are temporary or seasonal problems that don't really need much attention to heal themselves? So she thinks you are blowing her off?

And once she has got the idea from somewhere about the proper solution, she suggests it to these outfits, who are perfectly happy to tell her what she wants to hear.

As for what they are charging, and what they will do for the price--Without seeing the lawns and what kind of grass, etc., I can't evaluate that. But anyone with some annual rye seed can probably make you look like an incompetent slacker, for at least the next month or so.

Maybe that's how you should "fix" those spots, and at a "much fairer price" than the 2 outfits she has talked to.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

actually this is a client i started early this season. she was alreadt contracted with one of the outfits for a fert program, the other just approached her going door to door. of course i got the job. i sold her thatch, aerate, and seed. and.....i got the chemical program for next season. i just thought thier prices, and thier suggestions were off the wall
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

$250 Min. for the renovator to be used. Those small areas I would throw the seed in free.