Check valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbailey52, Sep 21, 2013.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,
    I have a customer who has a system installed on a hill. The bottom pgp rotors weep when off ... It's not leaking through the valve, just the lines themselves. I know some heads have check valves installed already but what are my options with this?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You should be able to get Hunter LDCs for the PGPs, they are cheap, and that would be my first suggestion. If the drop is too much, you might have to consider Hunter "lipstick" LDCs.

3. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks. Are they referred to as something else? I can find any product info.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Mike Leary

Sorry, they are called a "low-drain-check valve.". As I recall, they were just a rubber gasket and keeper.

5. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

6. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

You should be able to buy the check valves that go in the bottom of the head. Theyre just a filter with a circular piece of rubber and a toothed clip to hold it in place. I believe the add in check valve is good up to 10' of elevation change. Anything more and your probably going to have to go the HCV route.

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i started to use the built in check valves in the heads as options. really like it, of course under 10ft. never looked into more elevation drop check valves. ishould

8. cjohn2000

I always liked Hunters add on CV's. I understand that there is a heavier spring in the SAM heads. Even Hunter's rotor CV works across more than one head. Alot less to stock.

9. Mike Leary

Me too, especially since I used so many Toro "Stream-Rotors".With a large-bladed screwdriver, they can be adjusted for drop, but care must be taken to not over-tighten them, as friction loss will kill you.

10. cjohn2000

I saw a thread in check valve for a 570 popup, same vintage as the four screw nozzle in it. The check valve looked like it had to be inserted into the body from the top and installed with a socket.