Check your balls!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Oct 23, 2003.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I don't take my trailer off but once a month....well anyway....did it today and noticed that the nut was only on by one thread....pretty scary.....damn scary. Just trying to pass on a word of advice.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Good advice. Did you notice the trailer riding differently before the fix??? It would seem like there would be a bit of play in the loose ball.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

4. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

generally once the ball is attached to the hitch , I take a hammer to the threads, bugger them up good and you'll never have the problem.

Also make sure your trailer tongue and ball is well lubricated , less friction will also prevent the problem
  5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

That's fine if you only tow trailers with one size ball. We switch trailers around every so often, so we end up checking the whole hitch setup out of habit. And me telling my guys to!
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Never noticed any difference.

I have greased the ball a couple times this year.

Tvov, I don't switch balls for different trailers, but you could always get youself another hitch with the different size ball on it....unless you are not using a receiver and have the ball attatched to the bumper.

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

you said balls
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

While we're at it, everyone should check their couplings, too. They have a tendency to get tiny little cracks in them that are hardly even visible before they go bad. Incidentally, has anyone ever re-drilled their equalizer tube, so there is a fresh hole for the pin? Mine is just a little bit elongated.
  9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

So we are supposed to grease our balls????:( :confused:
  10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

good one expert:dizzy: