1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Check your gear oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bakersacres, Jun 22, 2002.

1. bakersacres

bakersacres LawnSite Member

:angry: Well I didn't check the gear oil on my Turf Tiger and guess what? That's right the bearings didn't like being dry! Had one cease right up. Stopped the motor immediately too! Scag dealer told me it was a "non-serviceable part" and I had to buy the whole $300 gear box! Well, it's turns out that the bearings are just common ones and my local mech. said he'd put a new set in for the cost of the bearing's 20.00/ea and 1/2 hour labor! Oh yeah, the reason there was no oil? When I removed the box noticed the side plug was backed 1/2 way out and it could be turned by hand! Lesson learned!
  2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

In everything, my trucks, equipment, and cars.

And, only Mobil1 motor oil in anything, air or liquid cooled, gas or diesel, turbo or not.

It's the only oil authorized by Porsche.

3. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Mobil1 is great, but who cares for porsche!! :) Gravely's good enough for me...
  4. gaunlet13

gaunlet13 LawnSite Member

The brand of oil is not the issue here. More like poor design. I own a 2000 mdl w/61" deck and 22hp Kawasaki.
    Back to the deck gear box. Split aluminun case design that uses POS fill and drain plugs ( no shoulder on plugs). I'm trying to determine the thread size on the fill and drain plugs so that I can replace them with some type of shouldered Allen head bolt and brass washers. When I figure this out I'll post the findings.
    The problem I am having is the top seal is leaking. There is a seal on the input and output shafts ($6.50 ea). Parts guy said that the case has to be split to replace seals and that the way to do this is to MAKE SURE all the guts stay in one side as the case is split. Also said that ANY debris that gets between the shaft and the seal will cause it to melt at that spot and lose its seal. He also said that when THEY work on them they fill them with HEAVY grease (wheel bearing type). I'm not ready to do the heavy grease thing yet. I'll try to make it work like it was designed (80w90 GL5). If this happens again (238hrs on Tiger) I'll pack it full of heavy grease.