Check your trailer hitch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Mar 23, 2002.

1. For those that overload trailers and others. Check your trailer tounge.

Today I had the lovely, and joyous time of waiting for a welder buddy to come to side side of the road in a pristine neighborhood to cut off and reweld a new trailer tounge on one of my trailers.

It normaly would hold the 11 yards of much, but today it did not want to do it.

The coupler broke right off the trailer, and it is the original.

They had such a fun time hand shovling the apoxamitly the 7.5 yards left on the trailer on to another one to go 1/2 mile to shovel it again off again.

1) don't overload your trailer

2) check the coupler quite oftem for cracks.

Good thing it only cost me a 6 pack of beer, and about 25min of shoveling this time, but won't happen again "knock on wood".

2. Greenstar Services

Greenstar Services LawnSite Member

Good advice. Your lucky thats all it cost.It's a habit for us every morning before we leave the yard to do a safety check of the truck and trailer.

3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Is this why it broke ?

BUSTED !!!!!:eek:

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The spoken word fades into space but the written word can haunt forever.

Lawnsocrates 3-23-02

:p

5. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

We all overload our trailers & trucks thinking nothing bad will happen, "as long as I'm careful & go slow", but $hit happens & it can turn out very badly. The trailer tongue can snap off, like LGF had happen, or in an overloaded truck or trailer, you can easily lose control & start slamming other cars & innocent people. Lets use this example shown by LGF, & try to keep safe weights on our trucks & trailers, because you never know what could happen around the next corner. I am guilty of this too.

6. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the ball on my leaf vac trailer ( 2" ) come unthreaded and actually dislodged the trailer from the truck...good thing the chains were holding it on to the truck. The coupler nailed the rear bumper then dove into the ground I had to quick pull off into a U-haul parking lot and drop off the trailer go back home and tighten the ball and come back ! now I drill a hole right under the tongue (under the nut ) and put a pin through it so it CANT ! come un done.

7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought my new enclosed trailer and the guy put on a 2" ball first time i unloaded it started to roll towards the lake good thing it had safety brake attached i made trailer guy come to site with correct ball

8. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

was pulling my uncles $15,000 bike on a motorcycle trailer stopped to eat and someone pulled my pin out of the reciever....

thank god for safety chains!!!!!!!!! didnt do any damage. when i stopped and looked the reciever was still hooked to the trailer and lucky I had another pin in the truck:D

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Trailer Balls..... Look into Converta ball balls.. they have very high weight ratings and are already set up and drilled to accept a cotter pin under the nut...

Receiver tube pins.... Use locking ones only....

Trailer coupler... Use padlocks to secure to ball.....

Also... With new trailers and old... Lift up on tongue when hithced to make sure it is secure to ball before moving...

...... A friend of mine baught a new enclosed trailer, had it a few months... Did not over load it, only used for moving small equipment , like saws, shovels., etc...... The tongue actually cracked and snapped.. not at the coupler, in the middle of the 6" steel tube tongue.... No thats scary, Can happen !

Daily or weekly saftey checks should be on all of our minds and schedules

10. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I use all pintals for extra security.