"Checkerboard" Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike_NTx, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Mike_NTx

Mike_NTx LawnSite Member

I am fairly new to the lawn business but I don't know how to cut a "checkerboard" in a yard. I have tried several times this past summer with no success. Anybody help me out here?
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

it depends on what type of grass it is #1 IMO fescue does the best. In some cases you may need a striping kit to be successful. To get the checkerboard you typically mow one direction one week and then another direction the next week and then you have the checkerboard. Or you can mow the lawn twice to achieve that design the first week. Hope this helps!
  3. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Striping is easier and more pronounced on cool season grasses. On our warm season grasses it is either non existent or short lived.
  4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, don't even worry about stripes in Texas (especially St. Augustine, Carpet, Centipede, etc.). You may see some lighting striping as you mow, but in a few hours it'll be gone. A stripe might help a little while the grass is wet to keep the stripes a little longer, but don't count on it. The only grass that I know of in the South that will stripe well is hybrid Bermuda and this is only on golf courses because they cut low and with reel mowers.
  5. WigginsLandscaping

WigginsLandscaping LawnSite Member

I have had good luck with my personal yard. Bermuda. However it took a lot of work to do for the stripes to show. Lots of fert, water, etc and i tend to cut it a little higher than most yards. But it is possible with the right care. But like what was mentioned before up and down one week. Side to side the next.
  6. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

It also depends on the mower - you may need a striping kit. What mower are you using to stripe? Try striping towards/away from the sun, and don't always go the same direction. (this means diagonally, or horizontally/vertically)

There are numerous threads about striping that you can search for.