1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

checking engine rpm

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by anthony, May 7, 2002.

1. anthony

anthony Guest

how do i go about checking my engine rpm's
    anthony

2. On a mower?
    Use a tachometer and refer to a service manual for your engine for proper speed and adjustment procedure.

3. anthony

anthony Guest

thanks bob for your reply....
    it's on my ride 0n spreader...
    is it something a auto parts house will sell?
    anthony

4. Yes
    or tool sellers.
    Briggs also sells one
    There is also a product called tiny tach that is a permanently attached tach/hour meter that you could get from your dealer and probably from an on line supplier. I think they are about $50 each.

5. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Anthony, Briggs sells a tach, called vibra tach. It is a neat tool costs less than 15.00.

6. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

Molerj..Can you give a link to a supply for the vibra tach? I dwould like to order one.
    Thanks

7. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Here Anthony try here. You'll have to copy & paste this cause I don't know how to make it a link.
    http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchparts2.cfm
    You also should be able to go to an Briggs & Stratton dealer & ask for a vibra tach. The part number is 19200. Hope this helps.

8. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

try this--http://www.jackssmallengines.com/
    Then click on Price database and select Briggs & Stratton from the manufacture name & put in the part number 19200

9. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I have one of those vibra-tachs. When the dealer handed it to me I was skeptical, but it has turned out to be one of my most useful tools. You set it on the top of the recoil housing and turn a dial on the face. as you turn, a wire extends out and starts to ocilate. When it ocilates in a steady circle read the number it points to and that's your rpm! Totally cool for $15. :cool:

10. bobby perez

bobby perez LawnSite Member

Hey Brian thanks for that xplanation .I just bought one of these gizmos and couldn't figure out how it works. thanks buddy