checking engine rpm

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by anthony, May 7, 2002.

1. anthony

anthony Guest

how do i go about checking my engine rpm's
  2. On a mower?
    Use a tachometer and refer to a service manual for your engine for proper speed and adjustment procedure.
  3. anthony

anthony Guest

thanks bob for your reply....
    it's on my ride 0n spreader...
    is it something a auto parts house will sell?
  4. Yes
    or tool sellers.
    Briggs also sells one
    There is also a product called tiny tach that is a permanently attached tach/hour meter that you could get from your dealer and probably from an on line supplier. I think they are about $50 each.
  5. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Anthony, Briggs sells a tach, called vibra tach. It is a neat tool costs less than 15.00.
  6. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

Molerj..Can you give a link to a supply for the vibra tach? I dwould like to order one.
  7. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Here Anthony try here. You'll have to copy & paste this cause I don't know how to make it a link.
    You also should be able to go to an Briggs & Stratton dealer & ask for a vibra tach. The part number is 19200. Hope this helps.
  8. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

try this--
    Then click on Price database and select Briggs & Stratton from the manufacture name & put in the part number 19200

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I have one of those vibra-tachs. When the dealer handed it to me I was skeptical, but it has turned out to be one of my most useful tools. You set it on the top of the recoil housing and turn a dial on the face. as you turn, a wire extends out and starts to ocilate. When it ocilates in a steady circle read the number it points to and that's your rpm! Totally cool for $15. :cool:
  10. bobby perez

bobby perez LawnSite Member

Hey Brian thanks for that xplanation .I just bought one of these gizmos and couldn't figure out how it works. thanks buddy