Checking for adequate coverage......

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by precisioncut, May 9, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I belive some of my maintenance yards are not getting the water they need and some sprinklers may need to be adjusted. If I go to a yard and place cans around to measure the water and how long it takes to get to a certain level, how much should I be charging? I know that prices vary greatly but should I be charging like my hourly rate for this and other sprinkler repairs?

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Its called an audit , it takes a complete watering cycle to complete . I set about 40 plastic bowls all over the lawn the evening before , and come back the next morning to compare precip rates . I charge by the hour , typically have 3 to 4 hours just determining nozzel and head changes.

3. precisioncut

just use like tupperware bowls? I would guess they would need to weigh something so they don't blow away.

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I use plastic cereal bowls , and a rock will work for weight

5. precisioncut

Roughly how much water should be applied to the lawn when the temps are over 100* already? 1" or more?

6. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

7. precisioncut

When checking run times, do you sit through a couple cycles to get it right, or do what the other guy does? (place the cans out at night and check in the morning)

8. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

In normal circumstances- I run each zone for 10 minutes and take a reading from the rain gauge. I then determine how much longer based on the amount read that it would take to measure a 1/4" of fall.

Lets say 10 minutes gave me 1/8" of fall- I would then determine that 20 minutes would give us a 1/4"

I then normally base a run schedule of every other day. Standard in our area is atleast 1" PER WEEK start of season and 1 1/2 during the hotter months.

Based on the example I now set that zone to run 20 minutes every other day ( based on a 4 day per week schedul)

You must do this for every zone individually and assume you have pretty good even coverage.