1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Checking for loose bolts - does anyone do this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BigDave, Apr 25, 2003.

1. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Every equipment manual seems to say something like "check the machine for loose bolts every time you use it, and tighten if necessary".

Just wondering - does anyone do this, and how often? Do you just look at the bolts, or do you actually take a wrench and check their tightness?
  2. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

If I had a bolt brake loose I put lock tight on it.... but yes, we did daily checks of our equipment which included, but not limited to blade sharpening, belt/bolt check, oil, lube, deck, tires, ....
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yes we do daily checks on the equipment but not to the point where we check every single bolt.
  4. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I check for loose bolts and nuts. I had a anti-scaple wheel come off my 48" Exmark W/B last friday and It sure woke me up. I tell you it was one loud Claa-blonc and mower shut down. Went to my dealer and luckly he gave me another free of charge. He could have charge me since it was my fault. I'll try to get a picture of it I still have it to remind me to do my daily checks!!!
  5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

We check daily, sometimes more then once a day depending on what we were cutting last..
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Uhh.... I was told I have a few SCREWS loose... Does this count?:dizzy: :D Generally, yes. There are a few things we keep a good eye on, but not everything.
  7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on what bolts they are. usually i keep an eye out for anything when i am fueling, then i check the big stuff when i grease the mowers.
  8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

The bolts I check are the engine mount bolts. The engine came off when I was mowing and I didn't have a toolbox. All the bolts but, 1 came off. It was just hanging there.
  9. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Sorry to bring this thread up from the dead, but just answer me this:

Why does the manual for every piece of power equipment recommend that we check for loose bolts, but for vehicles (cars, trucks, etc.), they don't ?