Checking out the compition?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green-Cuts, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

Hey
    I was wondering what your thoughts were on calling your compition and having them bid a property to see what they charge, there presentaion and what they are like? Do you think it is underhanded and sneaky or ok??

THanks
    BJ

2. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

spelling on thise site just KILLS me

3. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

I was thinking the same but I hate to be one of those guys that runs around reminding people they can't spell.

Green, go ahead, have a friend or relative get an estimate. Nothing wrong with that. It's probably the best way to know what an average cost is in your area.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I think you have to be joking :dizzy: You think there gonna tell you there cost? Do you need help with your presentation that you need to have your competition show you how its done? Maybe WORKING for your competition for a yr is what you really need. That way you have an IDEA of how to run a business :hammerhead:

5. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

personally i think its a great idea. I just started my business this year but i have 10yrs exp. with the biggest company in my area and i did it to the company i used to work for, it helps you establish a base line or median for what everyone else is charging. i understand though that it wastes there time but im sure they(incl. business owners on this site) have done it in some fashion or another. in my instance, i want to be competitive not the lowest priced . so i want to find the median.

6. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

Hello

Not needing help just wondering how they are and how much they are charging?

I tend to mispell later at night after a long day sorry. Not an english major.

Thanks
    BJ

7. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

hes talking about pretending to be a customer, and what they would charge him to do his lawn. not actual costs. am i right?

8. Jdmtnbikr

Jdmtnbikr LawnSite Member

There are more illiterate and ******** people in the lawncare industry than any other industry I have have ever seen, by far.

I find it to be quite amusing actually.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Your facts are wrong. Very few ******** people work in the lawn care industry, unless your being a smart azz and trying to make a point. Which really shows which class you would belong with. :dizzy:

Now that is amusing. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. Jdmtnbikr

Jdmtnbikr LawnSite Member

My facts are "wrongs"?

Thank you for proving my point.