checkout this TG lowball bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Mar 16, 2006.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont do fert/weed apps. I work with the scotts company and sub 100% of my work to them and they refer quite a few mowing jobs to me throughout the year. I got talking to the owner the other day, he was pretty bummed out as he got into a bidding war with TG on a really nice big job. TG was finally awarded the job for $0.53 per 1000 square feet. How does this company even stay in business?

2. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

$.53/1000 :dizzy: Wow!

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

so you subbed your work out to a lowball price...I hope you are ready for phone calls from your customers, youmight as well put TGLC on speed dial... I don't think i would stabbed scotts in the back like that, they were funneling you new work as well and you had a good raport with them, and as long as their quality was satisfactory, which is more valuable than price...Since TGCL gave your such a great deal did you pass those saving onto your customers?

4. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't really catch all this the first time I read it. I was too amazed at the price.

I'm always bitching about loyalty over cost. I guess loyalty really is non-existent, even between collegues in the industry.

5. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

I think you need to reread the original post. I dont see anywhere on it where he stated that the bidding war was on one of his jobs.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you misread his post. Sounded to me like it was a not a account that he subbed out, rather a account that was between Scotts and TGCL. I believe he was just talking to the owner of Scotts and he was just venting to Pro mower.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

At $23. an acre, they're NOT making any money. As a matter of fact, it is costing them money to do it...I don't care HOW cheap they get their product. But you know what? Just watch how much unnecessary insectide and aeration and such services they will sell to this account.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I stand corrected....my bad...

9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I was asked by one of my full service clients for a meeting the other day to go over this years property maintenance needs (this is a full service res. account worth 4K). He wants us for everything again but was interested in comparing our chemical application price to one that TGCL quoted him. Seems they cold called him before our meeting and quoted a price to treat the property over the phone, sight unseen. They had no clue as to the size, topography, or condition of the property, LMAO! They referred to his property as a half acre lot (remember sight unseen). This lot is 45,464 sq feet, half is one hell of a hill, and like most other properties around here that did not get irrigated/watered by the homeowner, has spots that are severely stressed due to the drought last season.

I told him I would harbor no hard feelings if he went with these jokers (again we will still provide all other aspects of maintenance) but that I would question the quality of work of any company that provides quotes sight unseen.

I honestly don't think we will lose any of his business in regards to applications but was astounded by the "high quality" of effort TGCL put into this call.

10. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

They will lowball the fert price and upsell on the extras. Just like the big box stores do.