Cheesy, but it's my first attempt...

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by ExcaliburLawnCare, Aug 14, 2007.

1. ExcaliburLawnCare

ExcaliburLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from MI

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are targeting Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragons dorks then you have a hit.

3. ExcaliburLawnCare

from MI

Better than hockey dorks I suppose

4. ExcaliburLawnCare

from MI

I am not sure what DnD has to do with King Arthur, but what do I know...I was only a Librarian for six years.

5. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

Well what can I say; there is no navigation and says very little about what you do other than that you do lawn care and think you're good at it I guess?

The first thing you need to work on now, if you're going to pursue the knights of the round table theme; is the page load time. I am on ultrafast DSL and the page top and the center photo with the rollover effect still loaded very slow for me.
    So you might start there with trying to get your design to where it's workable because that would take forever to load for people with dial up modems. And then start working on some links and content pages that actually tell what you do and why you are the best at doing it.

You must remember that a website is nothing more than selling. Your website must present the message of your company just like you would if you were selling someone face to face. Only in a more graphical and different type of interactive format.

"Cheesy" is really not all that bad. There are many products sold with cheesy approaches; However, you have to tell me something about lawn care and your company and why I should use you, or why you are the best at it, in other words, why I should take action and either e-mail you or call you to get an estimate or to have you do my work. if the viewer takes no action you have sold nothing and the web page is the thus worth very little :(

6. ExcaliburLawnCare

from MI

Webman, thank you for your wisdom. It was something I did at the spur of the moment with a few graphics I had in my computer. I had no clue as to how to go about web design and after having registered my domain, I downloaded a free WYSIWYG editor and spending about 5 hours figuring out how to work it, I came up with this. Now, this is only the start....as I know for a fact that the site offers NO real information other than a few off the wall graphics. Right now I am fooling around with FLASH editing, which I think may offer a better presentation. I am, however, sticking with my Arthurian theme considering my company is Excalibur Lawn Care. One thing I learned from reading the Greatest Salesman in the World a book not unlike the Wealthiest Man in Babylon, is that in order to sell something common such as robes (or in my case cutting grass with the exact same equipment that 1000s of other have) is to capitalize on one's uniqueness and if you find something that you are doing which is too similar to Joe Blow Lawn Care down the street to change it forthwith. I see many websites by lawn care owners and they are redundant, they use stock phrases and really do not stand out from each other and the abundant use of the color green is over the top. Coming from a background in libraries, I now that a cover does indeed tell much about a book, however, the Title, Front and Back Flap, and Table of Contents truly pull the person who saw the cover into a moment of intrigue and it is at that moment that the the information in those places make the sell of the book or the borrowing of it. I guess the same can go for websites, a cover must be different, but must cause enough intrigue in the person viewing in order for the information to be properly gleaned.

I also apologise to Ric for spouting off, but I was not in the mood for snide remarks this morning.

7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Just out of curiosity do Churches in Detroit need special services?

8. ExcaliburLawnCare

from MI

Grandview, most churches in my area have volunteers do the work due to budgeting issues. I have been able to land a few, but at at a greatly reduced cost since I know that lawn care is not a priority for them. S the special service for them is being able to find someone to do it cheap.

9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

There's only one thing I'd keep. The name and the font / text.

Get rid of the medieval border and sword and image.

Find a picture of an estate or nicely landscape castle, maybe a masonry home, and put its image with garden and lawn on the page.

That's about all I can think of.

Keep the name. Get a awesome garden image with a estate looking building, and put your name and phone with it.

Visit this site's page, and other's in it - photos more like it has...

http://www.americangardenmuseum.com/states/north_carolina/asheville_biltmore_estate.html

10. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

No problem, I wasn't trying to be rude, since you said have a chuckle I kinda thought you just did that site with plans to totally revamp it. My first impression was it doesn't look like a lawn care site. But if you are running with that theme...update us on the response from customers.