cheetah jerky hydraulics...is it normal??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jukenut, May 31, 2012.

1. jukenut

jukenut LawnSite Member

Hello all,
    sorry if I post this in the wrong place, new around here. also new to ztr mowing.
    I recently purchased a scag cheetah, 72", 36hp VG, the hydraulics seem jerky, not real smooth. I never had a ZTR before, I tested a few before I bought this one, but was kind of hard to tell and feel the response on them when you can only run them in the dealer parking lot. Isthe jerkiness normal, or maybe I just need more practice.

Thanks all

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

You probably just need to practice/get used to the new machine is all.

Maybe you could let someone near you who has experience on Z's take a test run and see what they think, but I'm betting it's just because it is new to you. You have to learn to run one sorta like you do when learning to fly a small airplane. Try to relax and not fight the controls, or over correct things. You'll get it with a little practice.;)

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Gonna take you a few hours to get settled into using a ZTR. Practice on driveway turning so you dont mess up your grass until you get comfortable.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The Vride feels jerky compared to my Toro WB but it's due to the way th linkage is setup...I'm sure you just need to get used to it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Check the dampers. Even if they're not leaking they can be bad.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the key is here that your new to mowing with a ZTR. Id give it some time. Good luck

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

think smoothness and finesse. it doesn't require brute strength to move the levers. make slow movements not quick movements of the levers. do everything gradually. slowly push levers forward don't just thrust them forward quickly. slow down and move them slowly when turning. you'll get the hang of it. it just takes practice.

8. reath1

reath1 LawnSite Member

Good advice from everyone here. The Cheetah is my 4th ZTR and the controls are a good bit sharper than the rest. Coming off of a Kubota that I thought felt sluggish, I welcome the sharper controls of the Cheetah. To me it's always better to have a machine that you can adjust to on the sharper end then to try to fight controls on a machine that feels sluggish. You will be used to it in no time.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i like the tight controls. the levers on my deere are pretty tight. sluggish controls are what i don't like. some if you barely push the levers forwards then you don't even move. they are that sluggish. others move as soon as you barely move the levers. nice and tight is how i like it. lol

10. mowcrazy

mowcrazy LawnSite Senior Member

This is good advice! I bought 2 scag tiger cub 61s and one had nice tight smooth controls and the other brand new acted like it didnt even have the dampeners on the mower. Come to find out, both of the shock dampners were bad ON MY BRAND NEW RIDE!

I would maybe go to your dealer and try another one in there lot and see if it seems the same. Hell I wouldnt have known how it was supposed to be if I hadnt bought 2 mowers that day...........