Cheetah or Turf Tiger? Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bare31, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Grumpydave

Grumpydave LawnSite Member

Have a TT with the 29 dfi with 3500 hrs.Still runs and mows great. Had a Cheetah for a two week demo. Suspension was awesome, mowing speed was about the same, you sit alot higher, glad to get back to the TT
    The TT has the fuel tank under the seat which interferes with the platform suspension. If scag can figure a way around that ...

2. bare31

bare31 LawnSite Member

GrumpyDave, Why were u glad to get back to your TT?

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I hope that is the case puppy.

I am used to seeing the B&S engines of any stripe including the Vaguard, be less here as well, but the only two Scag dealers anywhere near me sell the Cheetah at the same price for the Kawi 31 and the Vanguard 32. Now this was the FX850's they had, but those they had when I was in looking at them in late April were still showing/labeled on the engine labels as 31 HP, and being sold as 31 HP machines to their customers at the start of this spring, and on into May last I chatted with them about this particular point. The larger of the two dealers told me he is really starting to sell the Vanguards this year. We talked about LS a little, and he thought maybe the word was getting around now due to places like this. He said that if guys wanted a bigger engine than either of those two choices he normally ordered in the 36 Vanguard BB.

4. Grumpydave

Grumpydave LawnSite Member

Several small reasons. Large / flat lawns are the exception around here so the higher speed of the Cheetah was wasted and on the steeper lawns I thought the TT had a lower center of gravity and "felt" more stable. while we had the Cheetah we seemed to be using the walk behinds on more of the marginal lawn areas.

The deck on the TT will raise to and mow at 6" vs 5" on the Cheetah. Doesn't seem like a big deal but it makes a difference when curb hopping or doing 1st mowings on overgrown properties.

The saddle tanks needed on the Cheetah for the suspension block your line of sight to the rear tires and back corners of the deck. With the TT you can glance down while you're mowing around trees etc and see the clearance.

The liquid cooled 29hp DFI Kawasaki motor in the TT uses (my estimation based on history of TT versus two weeks of Cheetah use) 30-35% less fuel compared to the 32hp air cooled carbed Kohler in the Cheetah and I like the driveshaft powering the mower deck on the TT.

Lastly it may just be familiarity. Been mowing with the TT for long enough to trust it and know its' limitations. If I had the Cheetah for a season I might feel differently about it. The Cheetah is an awesome machine if you can utilize its' strengths but in my life the TT is a better fit.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Selling the old Kawi 31 which is now rated at a 27 hp engine is more than likely the reason they are the same price. They are attempting to get the old 31's out of their stock. The 32 Vanguard is a much stronger engine than the old style Kawi 31, honestly there would be no comparison, but then again, the BB 32 Vanguard feels equally as strong as the old style BB 37 Kawasaki (as they called it)

I cannot give a comparison on the new 31 because of never operating a mower with this engine. I will say the new Kawasaki 35 (which they called 37 before) on the new Hustler Super Z felt equally as strong as the big block Vanguard, but then again, I never cut anything to call on the extra power.

The older model BB Kawasaki kept the governor in hunt mode constantly, and this was one of the reasons I explained to their company that the fuel usage was so extreme. They told me at that time they were working on an E-Choke to help relieve the high fuel usage. I spoke with them within the last two months and was told the better fuel numbers were coming from the new head design, and the E-Choke had not yet been implemented. Kawasaki also told me there had been no problems with their BB engines since the new head design was put into place, but yes, they had many problems before the new heads were installed.

6. mach14604

mach14604 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have a TT and demoed a Cheetah this past May. I thought the Briggs motor was a pig I had the 32hp unit. I thought the Cheetah felt cheap with the saddle tanks and the metal seemed thinner maybe just in my head.

7. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no dought about it the TT is a well made machine but not the cleanest design by todays standards,but very well made.

If in your conditions a Cheetah is much more productive then how much money it makes you should be bottom line.

I had one and bought a JD because of a great deal but the TT was overall made better. Then I bought a Super Z and on the merits that it did well for what I bought it for I liked it best because it made more money.

8. bare31

bare31 LawnSite Member

Great responses guys. Thanks. Gives a lot more info to think over.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. bare31

bare31 LawnSite Member

Well I just got home with the new Cheetah. 32 hp vanguard. Just wanted to say thanks for all the great opinions.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Congrats bro! I think your gonna love it. Where's the pics?