Chelated Iron

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bunton Guy, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Any tips on applying? I bought a 2.5 gallon jug from Lesco and they said 8oz. per 1K sq. feet. It looks like this stuff will stain pavement so I will be carefull there. How well does this stuff work for a quick green up and how long does it last?
  2. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Used some liquid fertilizer with chelated iron in it on a couple of house plants that had an iron deficiency and worked wonders.
  3. I use 1 oz per 1000 sq/ft and it does great, however if what applied to is in need it will take more then what I said.

Lasts about 4 weeks.

At rate you say, you could do only 40M with that 2.5 gallons.
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Aviod getting it on pavement, fences, or homes. 8oz per k is what I use most of the time, I do mix higeher for some apps.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rust Erase sold by Lesco works great on removing rust stains. You can mix it 1-1, 1-2, or 1-3 with water and it still works.

Rust Erase also is good for tank cleaning. It also etches painted surfaces and will make oxidized aluminum look like new.

I carry a one gallon pump up sprayer with Rust Erase and use it when I see rust stain from over spray. The great thing about it is you only have to wet the stain with the sprayer and walk away, no rinsing
  6. Bunton Guy

So far i didnt have any good luck. I sprayed about a 10X10 foot swath in my front yard to test it and it turned my lawn brown....not dead brown but brown as if someone spray painted it a dark poop brown. Any ideas? I didnt mix it at the rate the lesco guys suggested...they said I think 8 oz. per 1K sq feet I sprayed it at half suggested rate.
  7. This is whay I use this rate, if your lawn didn't need it, it should of turned it purple, but anyhow, it might of had too much iron.
  8. Eirik

Eirik LawnSite Member

What did you have in the sprayer before the iron?
    The Chelated Liquid Iron should not stain pavement...
    I also mix it bout one oz/1000square feet (for me that is 5 gallon of H2O per oz. of liquid Iron). Hope this Helps
  9. Bunton Guy

I had prosicutor in the tank before it....but I washed out the tank REALLY good....then put some amonia in it and sprayed that through the system...then washed it out with water and sprayed about a gallon of water through the system to get all the fluids out of the hose.
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds like too much of a coincidence that you had prosecutor in your tank before and now your lawn is brown. That's why I keep a seperate small pumpup tank for glyphosate. Also, I used to use stainless steel tanks for pest control. As long as they were cleaned out and back flushed, they were ok for different chemicals. I'm thinkng that these poly sprayers may absorb some chemicals, does anyone know? Are you mixing in your backpack or are you mixing in a seperate service container and then pouring into your tank?