Chem Barrels

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenUtah, May 9, 2006.

1. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

For those of you who buy by the barrel (and I know that most of you don't) whether weed control, iron, other liquid ferts etc. Disposal is a huge issue. What are your thoughts on recycle/refill programs for these and larger containers(yes, I know legislation would have to be changed in some cases). cutting down 50 2 1/2s is irritating, but trying to get rid of a pair of 55 gal drums is even more so and these thick plastic suckers would have to survive in a landfill for 100 years or more, right? you now have the mic.....

2. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

If you triple rinse your barrels you should be able to get rid of them at a chemical, recycling facility. Or cut the tops of, put handles on them and use them as trash cans.

3. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Some of the Mini-Bulk drums I use (110-220 gal) are taken back by the manufacturer and reused much like a "core" on a auto-part. They also come with a neat little wobble pump that you clip up to a 12 volt battery(originally designed for field-use in Agriculture) it greatly reduces spills and waste. The Poly, 55 gal. drums I triple rinse, mark the barrels as such and date them, then I use a hole cutting bit like you use for cutting door holes in wood doors and cut multiple holes in them making them useless for re-use. Had a guy a few years ago come by the warehouse wanting "some of them plastic barrels to water my horses with". You just never know what the end-user will think up for uses so I dummy proof the stuff.

4. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I, triple rinse em, cut a foot off the top and store chemicals in em.Work good for garbage cans ,oil pans ,floor sweep ect ,ect .

5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I've gone the converted trash can route, I've gotten the dealer to even refill iron barrels, but there is only so much of that that can be done until your shop is stacked with garbage cans and then it's time to send them off to the landfill, cut down, drilled out or whatever. Like vego said, most of the manufacturers will take back the bulk tanks, so why not 30-55 drums?

6. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Look in the yellow pages for a drum reclamer. They usually take them for free or pay you for them. They will rinse them, certify them and resell them.