Chem Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Mar 16, 2004.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering if any of you ever recieved a letter from Chem Lawn offering to buy your company? I recieved one a few weeks ago. Funny thing is all i do is mow. No chemicals at all. Why would a fertilizing company want a mowing company????

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I thought that they were getting into maintenance, or am I confusing them with Scotts?

3. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

They wanted to buy my chemical part, a while back.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

They are a big maintenance company as well as fert. The only mailing I get, almost monthly, is to be a fert customer.

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, was the offer good??

6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I think they are aiming to eat up their competition! Makes sense to me!

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

TRU GREEN has been a fert/spray business only for many years, I.E. #1 in U.S.A. sales. They are trying to get into the maintenance side for the past few years. And the easiest way to do that is to buy an existing mowing company. Gets them instant customers,employees and equipment. They started in my area 3 years ago. Here they are targeting commercial account only. They are using sub contractors to do the mowing. And let me say that the subs they are using are small time scrubs.Crap equipment,no name on trucks,and poor workmanship.

8. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know if the offer was good as i never called them on it, i have never had luck with them before, i think they are a borderline joke, a week ago they tried to sell my sister and brother in law a 10 step program, they said 75% of their customers were fertilized 10 times a year and that was the only way to get a green yard, she told me that and i told her to tell them to stick it ( in not such nice terms)

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Their "10 step program".... It probably consisted of their usual 6 aps at half the rate like they usually do, one lime ap (whether it's needed or not, because THEY have no clue), 1 insecticide, 1 grub control, and one fungicide treatment. Then, they would probably try to upsell them on all sorts of OTHER things they don't need!

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I love it when they try to sell lime. They tried that on one customer of mine a year back and I asked her whether they came out and did a soil test. She said no. So I told her to tell them to come out and do a soil test and then you would consider the lime application. She called them back and told them, and they said forget about it.