1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chem questions on vinyl soft washing

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by OmegaRed, Jun 25, 2012.

1. OmegaRed

OmegaRed LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Just bought a house that needs washed. I just bought a Ridgid washer as suggested by multiple people.

Do you guys mix up your own (dish soap, bleach, etc) - if so what ratio's?

Do you buy a soft washing chem from somewhere? If so, can you get it from a big box store. I'm not really looking to mail order something for a once a year job.

I'm also looking to low pressure do the roof. Again, suggestions on getting chemicals. Reading through most of these posts is pretty cryptic. Thanks in advance.
  2. OmegaRed

OmegaRed LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Don't all reply at once!
  3. nolatoolguy

nolatoolguy LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Ive done jobs with and without chemicals, sometimes you need them sometimes you dont. If it was me I would try first without a cleaner an then if needed get a cleaner. If you do need a cleaner I would suggest a general purpose cleaner or something specificly made for awnings but a general pourpose should work. I would use whats in the link below. I have used it on many surfaces as long as its listed on the bottle.

Theres a another brand called Zep sold at homedepot that has several good cleaners for pressure washing. They have some for decks, siding, driveways, pretty much one for everyhing.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  4. HusqvarnaRules

HusqvarnaRules LawnSite Member

What I use for most surfaces is 1 pint of Simple Green and 1 pint of Clorox outdoor bleach mixed with 3/4 gallon of water. That gives a good mix of sudsing/clinging/smell and so far has been totally safe on all surfaces/plants/grass based on years of using it. Foam it on, let it sit 3-4 mins and rinse with high volume and low pressure. Let the detergents do the work when possible, especially on vinyl, aluminum and wood.

Don't worry about using bleach in your PW as it has downstream injection. Be sure to run clean water through the pump, hose, gun after you're done for the day and it should be fine. The only issue I've ever had from using bleach based cleaners (and this is nitpicking) is the injector ball will occasionally develop a film on it and it can cause the ball to stick closed, not allowing it to siphon. I simply remove the ball/spring, polish the ball and it's all good again.
  5. 06ccdmax

06ccdmax LawnSite Member

Do a search for pressuretek.com more info on that website for vinyl washing than you could ever imagine. I had to wash my house,(2 story with 12 foot retaining wall) with what i believe was called the x jet, it was kinda spendy but works wonderful. My washer is a skid mount 5 gpm at 5500 psi and wet steam if wanted and the x jet has a screw on nozzle that will fan out like 60 degrees to drop pressure to very minimal and no chemical is drawn through the pump or pushed through the hose it pulls the chemical in at the tip at high or low pressure. :usflag::usflag:
  6. 06ccdmax

06ccdmax LawnSite Member