chemical application advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Turfdoctor1, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

This site is awesome. i have only been a member for a few days and have already recieved a tremendous amount of help with the business that i am trying to start.

I am new at this and hope that some of you can give me some good advice. I have a 200 gal. sprayer with a gun and hose. I am currently employeed in university research and am used to more precise spraying applications. Is there anyway to add a nozzled boom to an existing hose?

Also, I am trying to figure out how to charge customers and how much. Do most people charge per application or quarterly or what exactly. In my area it seems that there is some of both.

I am planning to market a six step program: (1) spring pre-emerge (2) spring scouting and spot spraying (3) June fertilizer application and spot spraying--full lawn herbicide application if needed (4) July fertilize and spot spraying (5) August fertilize and spot spray (6) fall pre-emerge, and charging $50 for each step for a 7,000 square foot lawn.

i would appreciate any comments. thanks
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Before you even think about that, do you have your chem application lisense? You need that first,

Welcome to Lawnsite, as you have already discovered, you will learn alot. Good Luck with your business venture!
  3. Turfdoctor1

thanks for the welcome. i am taking the test a week from monday.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

See what your competition is charging to get your price you will have to be competitive,try the search link to answer your questions,also how did you come up with such a name.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I just did a quickie search on that site, good reputable site too. Iv'e also seen multi nozzle walk booms that have wheels on them. Their use is mainly for golf course applications, not very practical for residential turf.

I would guess that close to 80%? of commercial applicatiors who use a tank and hose spray set up use a Lesco "chem-Lawn" gun. A little practice is all it takes to be accurite with it!

As for charging... that's up to your chem. costs and your market... I think most customers like a flat rate if you can work it out. Just taking the number of apps divided by the cost for the year. some have a hard time grasping the reason that their preemergent app is more $ than the 3rd app... Just have add on's like fungicides, suppressents, and growth regs listed seperately as extras.
  6. Turfdoctor1

thanks a lot jason. i think more than anything, i am just nervous about something new. hearing your response makes me more confident that I am on the right track
  7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used that half azzed spray broom thing on the golf course, each of us that could spray tried it once each, then the gun went back on and that thing sat in the corner of the fert shed ever since, damn things probably still there.
  8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have sprayed from walk behind boom, hand held guns, towers and tractors.
    Each has their respective spot/application - on home lawns, walk behind booms aren't necessary.
    A good quality large area hand held gun, with a properly calibrated pump, is all you need.
    With just a little practice and you will realize how easy spraying in this manner becomes.