Chemical control or more seed?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by nate1422, Feb 4, 2006.

1. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

I live in Southeast PA on a 1 acre lot full sun, new construction. The lawn was seeded in July, died. The last week of Sept, I harleyraked and reseeded(blue/rye/red fescue). I had a soil analysis and adjusted the pH and fertility needs. I have about 70% germination, but it is thin and soil still shows. I am trying to figure out what to do in spring: 1. split treatment of dimension in March and May and broadleaf treatment in May; reason being last year, many neighbors of mine had major crabgrass/weed problems, I think due to late seeding(may and june)/heat/drought/poor fertilizing/improper irrigation. or 2. aerate and overseed in April to get a thicker turf and then hit with braodleaf weed control after a few mowings in late may or june. I will maintain the turf at about 3.5-4".

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

If you are going to do any overseeding in the spring, you'll need to stay away from any pre and post herbicide treatments. I often find that when folks seed a lawn, they expect it to look like a sodded lawn in a few months. That ain't gonna happen. Sod is usually a minimum of 12 -18 months old before it is harvested. If you have 70% germination, I'd just apply fert., water the lawn when it needs it, and cut it at a higher level. And practice patience.:waving:

3. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

I am actually very happy with my lawn at this point and expect it to fill in nicely this year, but just worry that crabgrass and other weeds invade my lawn this spring. Mowing and just fertilizing is the cheapest route and most desirable to me so I am taking your advise on this, thanks.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't really worry about CG and broadleaf weeds. They are easy to deal with later on. Focus your attention on caring for the turf and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.:waving:

5. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

Thanks so much for the advice. I will focus on turf and root system this year.

6. bif

bif LawnSite Member
    from PA

another option would be to dormant/spring seed and then use tupersan (expensive/not so long control/but will allow grass seed to germinate), and then use dimension a little later, after the new grass is a little more established.

Steve