chemical damage to trees

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sgtm, Apr 7, 2003.

1. sgtm

sgtm LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone

An individual thinks a few of his trees may have some chemical damage. The turf has been treated with Simazine (in early March) and Trimec 992 (a 2-4D and dicamba combination the in first week of April). One tree is a yellow poplar (leaves curling) and the others may be oak trees. Is there anything He may use to save this/these tree(s). He infomed me that contact with the above ground roots was not made with the herbicides, but some was applied under the drip line (not much).

What are the chances of this tree not surviving.
    :confused: :eek: :( :dizzy:

I will apprechiate any assistance

Thanks

2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

What rates did you use of both materials?
    What were the conditions on the days you sprayed?
    Was there anything else in the tank?

Need more info to help, may want to contact your insurance agent.

3. sgtm

sgtm LawnSite Member

april the rate was 1.5(trimec) oz per 1000sq ft. combined with placement drift control.

march-1 oz. of simazine per 1000sq ft.

the conditions on the days sprayed were ideal, 70 degrees in april and 60 degrees in march.

i did notice that the leaves on the poplar were curled up.

4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

That rate of Trimec should not be enough to damage the trees. The dicamba portion of the Trimec is what is harmful to trees. The weather conditions don't indicate that there was any major volatilization. We don't use Simazine on cool season grasses here so I can't comment on that.

5. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I have had trees sprayed with 2-4D chemical twice. Once it was noticed and reported the same day it was sprayed and we washed it off with water and had no damaging results. The second time was not noticed and the Cottonwood did get curled and burnt leaves and lost all that curled. The next season the damage was unnoticeable.

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

If trees are damaged, it most likely was the trimec. The dicamba is root absorbed in woody ornamentals.

I have seen enough damaged trees after broadcast lawn herbicide applications with trimec and other products including dicamba, that I will never again use a product with dicamba as an ingredient for a broadcast application. It damages the trees in a single appl, but it has not been fatal. Repeated applications on trees susceptable would weaken the trees over the long term, an likely be fatal. You won't see dicamba stress on all trees, mostly on shallow rooted varieties. (many poplars are shallow rooted.)

Even volatilization or drift herbicide injury of a tree is not necessarily fatal. But it can severely stress a tree for possibly a couple of years.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

What would be an alternative product to one that contains dicamba? I have several maples and their roots are very shallow and these are very mature trees with very extended roots.

8. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Anything that controls or kills broadleaf weeds will damage or kill trees or shrubs. Trees and shrubs are nothing more than REALLY big broadleaf weeds as far as their reaction to broadleaf weed control products. Ever see a landscape bed fertilized with a weed and feed product. It's not pretty. Broadcast applications of herbicides under or near the drip line of trees is a receipe for disaster. Start doing spot applications to be safe.

9. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

While the twisting/curling of the leaves indicates 2,4-d damage I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Simazine/Atrazine is very mobile and will leach if given the chance. At those rates I'm not sure the plant material(s) are permanently damaged. If you are very concerned you might try activated charcoal around the base of the trees to help neutralize the effects. Good luck.