Chemical & fertilizer apps

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by flakebortch, Feb 4, 2008.

1. flakebortch

flakebortch LawnSite Member

Do you guys do applications, sub them out or not even bother with them? I'm trying to determine if I can get by without this in my first year.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I got my license and figured in my first year I would fertilize a few lawns, but it got out of control and I wound up picking up about thirty fert. customers. I think it is well worth it to add this service.
  3. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

We pass them along to a long time friend that does chemical apps. only. The insurance cost here in Colo. would bankrupt you unless you have lots of accounts. This guy runs about 15 to 20 trucks a day and about 10,000 accounts.
  4. fertguy2008

fertguy2008 LawnSite Member

get a license and go to town. Much better margin in spraying (even with the high prices on fertilizer
  5. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

No been there done that and I'am getting too old to do that again and my wife would shot me if I even thought it. So I'll just keep on mowing till my feet say to stop.
  6. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Im thinking about providing fert/weed control to customers outside of my maint. accounts. Im going to see how the response will be to my flyers this spring.