1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chemical Weedeating???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andyinchville, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if anybody out there uses a growth retarder to reduce the frequency
    that a property needs to be weedeated?
    It would really be great to be able to knock out 15 or so yards in a day and not to have to touch the weedeater until a month and a half or so when the chemicals wear off....Also was wondering if the cost savings were worth it...The chemicals are expensive BUT paying a full time weedeater is also expensive...(Probably more so).....Any pros and cons to this?..What is the best product to use and where can it be bought? ...we been seriously thinking of doing it to save wear and tear on me and or saving on some payroll. Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Well I doubt most people would want you to do that. Imagine what it would look like around a house or tree where instead of trimming you kill the grass. It would make it tons easier, but would look bad. Now in some applications this might work though.
  3. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply......I suppose I should have been more specific in my wording.....I didn't mean to use a product that kills the grass (like Roundup).....I meant to a growth retarder like Embark or ******.....Keeps the grass green and living.....Just slows the growth Waaaaaay down.
  4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I understood what you meant, some people just don't read enough into the post.

I've often wonder the same thing. The only problem I see would be the cost. I really don't think a customer would notice that the trimmed areas don't grow nearly as fast as the rest of the lawn. Does anyone here do this sort of thing and how does it compare with time and cost savings.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea to check into more in depth anyways.

When I read the title I started laughing because I thought you were talking about some of the so-called pros around here that use those Roundup brand weedeaters and yes believe it or not... Roundup brand edgers. Horrifying! You just wouldn't believe!

There is a tasteful way to use Roundup like that if anyone cares...
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

We have some of those around here too. I've seen guys kill off grass in a 3' circle around a telephone pole to eliminate trimming. Another good one is when you only have 4' space between a curb and a sign. Obviously, a 60" ztr will not fit between there, so they just kill off the grass will Round up.lol But, whats really amazing is their customers allow this to happen year after year.
  7. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

we use finali to kill all the grass around trees at out golf course, it looks like crapola but i wouldn't want to have to weed whack all the trees on that place.
  8. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I havent seen anyone post yet on what to actually use ??? why not someone please pm me if anyone does tell what to use
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you checked the Pesticide and Fertilization forum, I just posted a bunch of pics on a school where I used Primo Maxx around the fences.

The pictures are results noticed after 1 week.

Normally it takes my trimmer guy 10-12 hours / week to trim this 1 property.