chemicals and freezing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by teeca, Feb 5, 2007.

1. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

a few months ago their was a post asking what chemicals freeze... well it's -5 here.

round up - froze solid
    reward - froze solid
    talstar 1 - froze solid
    15-0-0 - still liquid
    lesco ester - still liquid
    Li 400 - slush
    triplet - slush
    emergency piss bottle - use your imagination
    waterless hand cleaner - well... i'm not putting my hands in it!

thought this was interesting, considering the lable on the 15-0-0 listed a freeze temp of 23.
  2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

LMAO....and I thought I was the only one who had one of those.
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Your chemicals are frozen?? Where do you store them? Last I heard freezing can change a chemicals properties. Will they still be as effective, work at all, become phyto-toxic?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

its good and cold here too
  5. magland

magland LawnSite Member

It's not good to let your chemicals freeze. Most will separate out and become ineffective even if you shake up the product. I've let 3-Way freeze and it separated into different colors/chemicals. I've done away with the pee bottle, and now I just look for a good pee spot on a lawn. :laugh:
  6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i've had talstar and round up freeze before, never noticed any differance. as far as storing.. since it hasn't been below 40 here since (ALL WINTER!!), well friday of last week, kinda forgot to turn the heater on.. opps go figure looking for something to do all winter to make time go by faster, and i didn't even turn up the heat. as far as the pee on the lawn, i puked when i fist started doing this (out of shape and 90+ out side) and the lady asked if it would kill her lawn, i said no, it's Mcdonalds, not taco bell, so it wont burn it... LOL, LOL, LOL (she actualy beleaved me) o'well, got 4" of snow, time to go plow for the next 36+ hrs
  7. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Why don't you guys just pee in the spray tank. Fertiilze the lawn at the same time your spraying and it's FREE!
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I just checked: it was 3 degrees last night. Crop oil--fine. Confront--fine. Surge--frozen.
    --P bottle empty.
    My storage does not have heat.
  9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Broadleaf weed controls will not work as well if they have frozen. This is one of the reasons we heat our shop.