"Chemlawn Gun" Leaking

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnTamer, Apr 1, 2006.

1. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I've never used a chemlawn style gun before this year but I got one for my Lesco Spacesaver. It leaks, not al the time but frequently, occasionally it will even spurt a little spray without the trigger being touched.
    Is this normal for a chemlawn gun?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks for the help.
  2. try rebuilding it.
  3. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Seriously, rebuild it. The guns do wear out. There is a kit from Lesco that should have everything you need.
  4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

the plunger inside needs replaced. you can get the kit at lesco for about $15.00 if its new you might try taking the plunger out and put a thin coat of petroleum jelly on it. I always do that when I rebuild mine.
  5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

ditto that....
  6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like your gun is new....might just be a piece-o-crud stuck in there?
  7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for all the replies, the gun is new (I've only sprayed about 150 lawns with it.) I will take it apart and look for a piece of crud in the and lubricate the plunger. I just wasn't sure if they all leaked or if mine was having trouble, it has leaked a little since day one.
  8. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

If it's new then I would say yours is having trouble. Take it apart, inspect, clean and lubricate. If that doesn't solve it, return it for a new one. Chemlawn guns are usually really nice and should NOT leak at all.
  9. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Check to make sure that the return spring that keeps the valve closed is not broken or weak. With that little amount of use it should not be a matter of wear. Also what pressure are you running? The gun was designed to operate at specific min./max. pressures and too little psi can cause malfunction as well.
  10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I'll try to find it because I could use a refresher myself, but there was a thread this winter about 3/8" hose vs. 1/2" hose. It was said guns were piddling with 3/8 hose due to being outside the pressure window vegomatic mentioned. Marc