Chemlawn ride-on spreaders ruining grass???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

This is about the 10th time I've had to tell and show my customers where the guy's from Chemlawn, using their ride-on spreaders/fertilizers, are turning to sharp and tearing up their grass. Furthermore, when they tear up the grass, it's just where they also put too much chemical on the lawn and the grass just dies.
    In the beginning, I thought I was turning too hard and damaging the turf, but then I realized my machine's track was wider than the spots I saw??? Anyone else finding this on lawns they mow only and don't fertilize????? Check this out so you're not blamed for something you ain't doin'.
    Pete

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

anybody have a picture or a link?

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have a ride-on spreader and when i got it i riped up some grass but i found that if i used a lower gear no problem but i guess that is the difference between me and chemlawn i care.

4. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

I've seen it on one account, started with Tru-green and then the customer switched to chemlawn with the same results. Tru-green even had a guy come not ten minutes after the first guy came. Looked like a race course when he finished. Needless to say, the customer dropped both and started fertilizing himself.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

from PA

weather u use a push spreader or a ride-on u leave tracks
    if it is to wet i walk it. i have had no complaints so far and i like not being dead tired at the end of the day

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I used to have the same problem Pete.

Then I got smart and told the customers either I do the fertilizing or find someone else to cut the grass. Chem Lawn, Tru Green, the homeowner, it doesn't matter who is putting down the material, they invariably use too much (and don't give a s***) cause they ain't mowing it. Well, I stopped putting up with that nonsense years and now I control the growth...NOT someone else.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I have got "who's at fault" straightened out the customers, so that's a relief. I guess, I look at fertilizing as another area for problems. In other words, if I just do the mowing, then any problems with the lawn, bugs, disease, fungus or etc. is someone else's problem. Maybe that's why I don't have the problems other guy's have.

8. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I use a spreader on my z because of my leg but it does not have screen in the hopper witch is a bad flaw on the company tech dept.

9. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

hope picture comes up

picture 078.jpg

10. DUSTYCEDAR

from PA

get a piece of expanded metal like on a trailer gate cut to fit