Chemlawn/Trugreen in Huge Trouble

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, May 20, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

This week while doing door hangers, I've noticed a ton of Chemlawn door hangers.

They can't telemarket anymore so they've got their sales staff out doing door hangers.

Today while we were mowing our last lawn of the day, I noticed these two nicely dressed individuals standing in front of the lawn down the street. They'd eye ball the property for a while, then write something down on the their clip boards. It looked obvious to me they were estimating lawn work. After we finished our lawn, I drove up to one of the guys and just said "The curiosity is killing me? What are you guys selling?" Before he had a chance to answer, I noticed the Chemlawn logo on his shirt. He said they're out knocking on doors and making cold calls. He said this was his last week. He's quitting. It's too hot to be doing this in 85 degree heat. And he said most of the others are quitting too.

Anyway, the stronghold that Chemlawn has had over the industry will be quickly fading as they are no longer allowed to telemarket. Of all the companies that got hurt with the no-call list, I can't imagine one getting hurt worse than Trugreen/Chemlawn.

This may be a good time to go short on the parent company. SVM is the symbol.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

They have loaded my county up this spring with there fliers. But they have picked up a lot of work here.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Chemlawn has been in trouble for quite some time due to their "selling" tactics.
    Serves them proper......................Their business practices of the past have caught up with them.

SVM?
    I thought lesco owned them................brain fart................
    Who owns them now? Hmmmm.........................

4. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

All i can say is they make money year after year, I don't agree w/ there selling tactics but how can you knock a fortune 500 company. I do my work they do there work and we wave when passing on a residential street enough said.!!!

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh great, now everyone that works for them is going to quit and start mowing grass.... I'd rather them stay like they are.

6. Prot1

Prot1 LawnSite Member

SVM is service master corporation. Chemlawn has never been owned by lesco. Service master also owns merry maids, terminex and other companies.
    Im with ECM LAWN on this one. I think we are going to see a influx of ex-chemlawn techs doing their own thing. I would prefer tg/cl keep doing their horrible job and leave things the way they are.

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I don't do fert or pest, but I learned 3 years ago NOT to refer anyone to tg/cl. I haven't heard a good thing about them in years.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

That's IT!
    Service Master...................
    I know the wife of our local service master owner for oh,something like 25 years now.

I told you it was a brain fart!

9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

How exactly is their other part of their company Land Care growing??? around here they are growing like wild fire?

10. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I hate those bas%^$s had to take them to the B.B.B. They deserve what they get!!