cherry picking services com. property

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stumper1620, Jan 23, 2005.

1. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

have you ever had a commercial that wants a full break down so they can cherry pick the services? i just ask because i have one this year wants my proposal to be broken down, i know they have employees kids do the scratched items to help them make money on break from school (cheaper for them) how would you handle this, i've asked if they would just give me a listing of what services they want but, they wont. i figure this is so they can compare my cost to a collage kid. how would you address this?
    thanks

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

You jumpped ship on the othe thread!

I just say move on... these people are not a serious prospect for you and you need to face up to that fact.

3. stumper1620

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't need the work real bad you may want to consider passing this one up. The customer obviously wants to save a buck where ever he can, a tell tale sign that he has the potential to become a real PITA.

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of commercial accounts have a set budget for the year. A broken down list will help them chose which services they need the most and can afford that year. Or they just want to compare you to the college kid.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

don't take the job.
    taking on a problem client is far worse than not having the job at all.
    tell them it's a package that, for the overall quality of thier landscape maintenance, you will not line item.

7. stumper1620

THANKS GUYS,
    I kinda feel like i would be stealing this account from the guy that has it now.
    Honistly he does really nice work the lawn is always a deep green, and if they would let him do the mulch and bed edging it could look so nice, last year they had the office girls trying to edge & pick the weeds out of the shubs.
    kinda disgusting to see actually. I know the LCO on this one so I think I will pass it. I bet he don't get it this year tho, They contacted me not me to them. :waving:

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Here is how I address that issue. I give an itemized estimate. Each item has a price tag and that adds up to the final price at the bottom, then I give a 10% discount for taking the complete package.

The discount price is what I am willing to work for. If you want to itemize you pay me a 10% premium.

Let me say that another way. I figure out what I want to get paid, then add 10% to each item. That is my bid per line item. If you buy the complete package you get the 10% discount. So in reality you are paying a premium for itemizing or paying regular price for the package.

I also don't break out ever nickel and dime. Mowing, Weed control, Fert, Ornamental trimming and tree pruning, Irrigation Maintenance, Mulch. That way all items are high dollar and the 10% makes a difference.

But these people sound like pitas that are price shopping mowing from you, fert from TGCL, Trimming from scrub trimmers and mulch from someone's son. Probably best to avoid them.

9. stumper1620

thanks precision,
    I'm thinking i better steer clear of this one, like i say i know the LCO thats on it now and he is good, and they are probly coming to me because he is catching on to what they are doing and over the last couple years has learned how to adapt his bids to compensate.
    I think he tried to make up for last summers losses on snow plowing and they went and got their own truck set up with a employee running it.