Cherry Tree Diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TScapes, May 16, 2005.

1. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

My father in-law has an orchard with several fruit trees. This year, one of his cherries is struggling. About 1/3 of its canopy is fully leafed out with normal foliage, while the remaining 2/3 appears to be stunted. I can not seem to notice any insect damage to the trunk or existing foliage. He did mention that there are several small holes in the ground surrounding the tree, but smaller that voles or rodent holes. Does anyone have any ideas? I have a friend that is a certified arborist, but he is away on business for the next couple of weeks. No one else has returned my call.
    This tree has produced massive amounts of cherries every year up until now and he would like to save it if possible. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

You need to look up Prunus necrotic ringspot virus (PNRSV) on the computer because of the many strains that produce a variety of symptoms. One of the diseases is called cherry rugose mosaic. On previously uninfected trees, shock symptoms may include yellowing, misshapen, or dying leaves, and stunting of overall growth. The cherry rugose mosaic strain can cause turned up or "boating" leaf tips, stiff or thickened leaves and delays in fruit maturity. There is no cure for PNRSV. Plants, however, may continue producing for an indefinite period of time.