1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chest Spreaders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, Sep 6, 2000.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone out there have any experience with the chest type spreaders. When I fertilize with a broadcast spreader it beats me and the spreader to death because the terrain is hilly and very rough. The chest spreader I'm looking at holds 40#. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about you but i think i would much rather carry about 10# that way ... try solo they recently introduced a new model. hope this helps
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought a spyker chest mounted canvas bag type speader. I only use it for seeding wich it works great for. After i aerate i just go over the lawn real fast with the spreader. dont no how good it would be for fertilizer... probly wouldnt distribute the fertilizer evenly enough.
  4. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have used these a lot, for seed and fertilizer. they work very well. takes some time and practice. I can fertilize as fast alone on small yards a 2 guys with push spreaders. the fert will broadcast twice as far with the spyker shoulder as with the a push. Takes a little getting used to but they do work. especially on hills. any questions just email me
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I would'nt load 40lbs in it the first time. My Lesco push has an 80lbs capacity. The first time I used it I filled it to the top. Never again! 50lbs at a time for me thank you!
  6. Firebrand

Firebrand Banned

I have been using an Earthway plastic tub belly grinder for 2 seasons now. I have spread about 2 tons of product through it so far. I think it works great for residential yards. I only load it up halfway, and thats about all I need. But it's not very comfortable, and definately gets tireing on big jobs. Also on big jobs you have to reload alot. I have a Prize Lawn high capacity push spreader on order. I'm looking forward to using it. I think both spreaders will still get use. I always thought the bag types were clumsy to load.
  7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

As I said before, I have used one of these a lot. Probably put 300 tons of fertilizer in my life on with one. The loading problem can be solved by finding a bucket that is just a little smaller than the bag, cutting the bottom out of the bucket and using it as a funnel. Another thing I have found is that the bag is really not too good. I always put a different bag on. I take off the one that comes on it carefully, take it to a tarp shop and have them make me a sack out of heavy cotton canvas. for the top strap have them use the 1 1/2" webbing this is stiff and helps to keep it from cutting into your shoulder. if you have anymore questions just email me.