Chevrolet Durmax versus gas engine part II

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I have been kicking this around for the past year on if I should buy a new Diesel, Gas, or fix up the old Dodge Cummins. I have been pinching figures hard all week on both. I can tell you from what I have came up with in all honesty the gas is by far a better deal than the Diesel if you go on a dollar per dollar basis. Only problem is I have loved Diesels since I was old enough to crawl. I decided to go ahead and by a new 2007 Chevrolet 2500 Classic Regular cab 4x4 Duramax with the Allison transmission. It dont have all the fancy stuff but it does have the things I need in it and should do what I need to do. I guess sometimes we have to spoil our self a little which is rare for me. I new the first time I pass a Diesel and see lots of smoke I would want one back. They have to go pick up my new truck in Kentucky and I pick it up Saturday. I decided to trade the old Dodge in based on all the expenses I saw and could see with in the next couple years. At 152 thousand on the Cummins the motor was not broke in but about everythig else was ready to be replaced or close. It still had the orginal clutch in it.

2. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice choice. I love Cummins engines, and they will far outlast the rest of the truck 99% of the time. By the way that you talk, you would have regreted buying a gasser. When the time comes down the road that you're ready for your next truck, you'll get better resale on this one, plus it will sell easier. That's one way to look at the extra cost you have now. You got the LBZ, right? The Duramax/Allison is a great combo. I read in a rescent "Diesel Power" magazine where GM wasn't sure what will happen after the current LMM engine. They might still call it a D-Max, but it could have a bigger displacement to meet 2010 emissions (i.e. 6.7L Cummins). I'm curious to see if GM goes that route too.

3. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I read something the other day in a Diesel magazine that they may have out next year a engine I think called LU Max or something close to that. Wish I bought the magazine. Yes it is the LBZ engine that I got. I hope it works out well.