Chevron tires for my ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Aug 8, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I am thinking of replacing the rear tires on one of my Toro's to chevron style tires for more traction. My question is will they tear up the grass more? I'm good at making turns without leaving any tracks (treading lightly) and I cut mostly St. Augustine and Bermuda which are tough but when we get a soggy yard the turf style tires seam to load up and start to spin, I was thinking that if I get a tire with enough traction I can eliminate tire slipping and not tear up the turf. Anybody running chevrons out there? What are your results?

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I run em. I didn't like them at first..but now i do. You have to stay off concrete or you will round the V's.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ditto that ^^^^ + you need to go lite on the sticks till you get the feel for them, but once you do I believe you will wonder why they are not OME.

4. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

havent seen herd off chevrons as yet but the norm carslie are crap, replace to maxuims and wow got a traction mower, good to hear off your brands ill look them up some time. Got a quad bike done jack **** hrs and getting down in tread.

5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

G'Day Russ.

I dunno about Chevrons either, but I know the turfmasters on my toro were crap, my new deere has Multi - Trac's on, now these are gooood!

6. toddnks

toddnks LawnSite Member

How about a compromise, putting on the semi chevrons that are for atv's? Anybody done that? Thats what I was thinking of doing, as one of the local school districts has done it, and it appears to have worked well.

Todd

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

A few questions for those WITH the Chevrons on Z's. Aren't these tire run kind of soft? Does this affect the ride and smooth it out that much? Do you get a certain amount of soft bounce that dips the deck down lower in certain conditions?

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Joe,
    I can only answer for my situation, I have them on a front mount Grass Hopper and yes you can lower the pressue for a softer ride AND more traction, this comes in handy when doing hills in wet conditions. The deck is independent of the tractor so no the deck does not dip down when encountering bumps

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Those are almost the same tire. The multi-trac does have a bit tighter tread and is a harder tire. But it think the difference you are seeing has more to do with the weight and distribution difference between the mowers. In other words that new Deere is a lot heavier where it counts. So it probably gets more traction.

10. cleanlawn

cleanlawn LawnSite Member

If you decide to go with the chevron's you'll never look back. I had picked up a property with a steep ditch and had noticed the previous crew would get their 4X4 batwing stuck every spring. They would use another front mount to pull it out. Both would leave tracks from doing this. I put my grasshopper725G2 on this hill and have never got stuck. This has sold me on the chevron.