Chevy 1500 mpg

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Eric 1, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes i thought i should get at least 12 mpg. I will check those things you mentioned tomorrow.Thanks

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Don't feel bad- I get 9 or 10 in town with a trailer and 12 on highway empty. Bout 11 on highway with trailer. Maybe 12.5 empty on interstate. Best I ever got was highway empty that was 13.5 mpg! This is fuel injected too. Dual exhaust as well (if that's supposed to help.) Man these old Ford's pass anything but a gas station! I have a 5 spd stick and a 3.55 rear end under it. 2wd. 3/4 ton. 351 Windsor EFI. My mileages seem similar to other guys at a Ford truck forum...

3. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

I have a carbed 302 in my 1979 Ford truck and I get an average of about 8. I get only about 160 miles to a tank of gas, that sucks.

4. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

Eric,
    That is why I was happy to come across my deisel!

I am averaging 16. Empty, towing, in town, 70mph does not seem to matter much. I am getting some Stanadyne fuel additive so I will see if that helps any. (Claim it does) I am also switching from 215/85 to 235/85/16 tire tonight (6 Yikes!). With 4.10 gears she is maxed at 70!

Joe

5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

New 2000 GMC SIERRA gets about 11. ITS SUCKS. i just upgraded from a buick lesabre which got 20. although that was the first tank i tested it on, and i drove it less than efficient. I was still getting used to the V8

6. Eric 1

Well at least i know i'm not alone. I played with the carb and timing some we'll see what happens.

Oh yeah i ordered a cam two. comp cams 440 lift, called them and this is what they said to get i also order a ''swirl port'' carb spacer and some fancy gaskets that the people at Jegs said would help some so when i get it all done i will let you know what happened.

7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

95 gmc 3500 350motor 9mpg's on a good day

8. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Eric 1,
    Whats the rear end gear ratio?
    If your using a 4barrel carb, swap to a large 2barrel.
    Why not go with fuel injection?
    It sounds like you are putting a lot of preformance mods on it, what are you expecting, preformance or economy?

9. T-Time

T-Time LawnSite Member

Have you thought about the convertor being restricted, this can make a difference.

Mitch

10. Eric 1

Straight duals baby...no converter.Don't tell.

Bugspit
    1.I dont know what the rear axle is all i know is i read on the net that those trucks have between 2;73-3;10 in them.If you saw my other thread you will see i am about to swap my rear end.
    I will be installing 3;73 and in a month or so installing an overdrive trans in it so when i am not towing i can put it in overdrive and get some economy out off it.
    2.Why should i go to a 2 barrel carb, man talk about gutless.
    3.Yep i am installing lots of performance parts, i an trying to find that fine line of both economy and performance.
    4.I looked into a fuel injection system from holly for a non ecm engine but it is $780, thats more than i want to spend on something like that for so little gain i would get from it.