Chevy 1500 towing?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SouthernYankee, Sep 29, 2007.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Heres the deal, my dumptruck (chevy 3500 1 ton) is out of service for awhile and I was wondering if th following is possible.

what I have:

2005 Chevy crew cab 5.3 v8 with tow package, I would only need to add a brake control.

bobcat 751 weighs around 4800

Trailer is a 2 axel , empty weight is around 1800

nothing else

I am out of landscaping completely and I am building a house that needs grading every now and then. The clay up where I am building is so bad that I had to pier the whole house but thats another story.

Anyways this would be a once a month deal if that and its 30 miles each way.

Opinions?

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i towed 10k with my 1500 and 4.3L V6. hauled an 8k tractor on a 2k trailer accross the state, and she did fine. overweight? yes, dangerous? yes. but for 6800lbs on a V8, once a month for 30 miles, you will be just fine.

3. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

You should be fine. The Tekonsha Prodigy is about the best brake controller for the money. Make sure the Bobcat is loaded on there properly, you want about 10% of total trailer weight on the truck. Should be about 600 lbs in your case. You'll need weight distribution if you want to be 100% on this, if not, drive the cat on there until the truck is sagging some. Use a hitch with the correct drop to allow you to have some sag in the truck, and the trailer as close as possible to level. If you have it up or down in front, it will result in higher loading on the low axle, and you may run into tire troubles.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Should be o.k towing that only 30 miles once a month, either tekonsha prodigy, P3 or a jordan 2020 brake controller will stop the load safely.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

say good buy to your transmission

6. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

half ton chevys are supposed to be able to tow that much, although being a half ton I would definitely say "for occasional use only" etc.

Your tranny will be ok if you take it easy, leave it out of OD, don't try to win any drag races... common sense stuff.

7. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know if the brake controller is a plug in on my truck or does it have to be wired. The truck does have a tow package set up and I thought I read somewhere that some Chevys (maybe newer models) have just plug in brake controllers.

8. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

they're should be a wire harness that came with the truck that gets wired to the controller. Make you drive in the tow/haul mode, do not use overdrive, i tow around 5K on a daily basis and havent had a problem at all, so you should be fine.

9. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.brakecontroller.com/prodigy1.htm

BUY IT FROM THIS LINK. IT IS ONE OF THE SPONSORS ON THIS SITE AND THEY HAVE ABOUT THE BEST PRICE I HAVE FOUND ON THE INTERNET. THE COOL THING IS, IT COMES WITH THE WIRE HARNESS TO FIT YOUR TRUCK. THE WIRE HARNESS IS PLUG AND PLAY. ALSO, IF YOU LOOK UNDER YOUR DASH, WHERE THE PLASTIC MEATS THE METAL TO THE RIGHT OF THE STEERING WHEEL, YOU WILL FIND A COUPLE OF SCREWS. THESE ARE THE ONES THAT I USE TO HOOK UP MY PRODIGY. YOU WILL WANT YOUR CONTROLLER IN REACH IN CASE YOU HAVE TROUBLE AND NEED TO APPLY MORE BRAKES THAN WHAT THE TRUCK IS ASKING FOR. IF YOUR CLAY SOIL IS THAT HARD, I DON'T THINK THAT BOBCAT WITH TIRES ON IT WILL BE ENOUGH TO DO WHAT YOU WANT, BUT IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO IT, IT DEF. CAN NOT HURT. GOOD LUCK, TAKE IT SLOW AND SAFE.

10. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

every now and then wont hurt it...i wouldnt do it everyday...and when u buy the break control dont cheap out like i did get a good one that will alst