Chevy 2500HD "REDUCING ENGINE POWER"

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Brian B, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2003 Chevy 2500HD and whenever I am pulling a heavy load such as a dump trailer of mulch, a bobcat excavator, soil, etc... I always seem to get this messageon the message center of the truck saying "Reducing Engine Power" and my transmission light comes on. why is this?

Thanks

2. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

It sounds like the transmission is on its way out. It is probably slipping and that triggers the computer to reduce power. Are you running an after market programmer?

Dave...

3. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

I agree with the above maybe put a bottle of tranny slip in it. that should help some what. how many miles are on it?

4. Brian B

no programmer, its all stock. there's about 104K miles on it. it doesnt feel like its slipping or anything, but maybe it is and i just dont feel it because the weight behind it. once the transmission cools back down to about 150 the transmission light goes off and the message goes away too. we took it to the dealership and they couldnt fix it. we thought they did, but obviously not.

5. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Gas or the diesel with the allison?

6. Brian B

just gas. i wish it was diesel with an allison :weightlifter:

7. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Is it doing it around town or on the highway in overdrive? When pulling heavy with my duramax I get some slip in O/D. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a message like you. I monitor slip with my Edge.

8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

AHHH, The Chevrolet "limp mode" no matter the model diesel or gasoline allison 1000 or not you can get the "limp mode". Many You-tube video's posted buy pissed off chevrolet owners regarding this problem. If it is your transmission I would have it rebuilt heavy duty for towing, if out of warranty. These issues can happen to anyone, but it's frustrating regardless of the truck brand; hence you never ever have too much truck.

9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

That "limp mode" is the truck's way of telling you the tranny is overheating.

On the 8.1 with the Allison the limp mode is to kill the A/C compressor till the tranny cools down. It doesn't cut the power unless the engine temp gets too high.

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Does your tranny have a guage on it or is that a guess? For the Allison the temp would be about 260° before you notice anything.