1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chevy 2500hd w/ 6.0 gas

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by horizonmowing, Feb 22, 2007.

1. horizonmowing

horizonmowing LawnSite Member

Chevy 2500hd w/ 6.0 gas, exteded cab 4x4. I think that is going to be my next truck. Anyone out there who has one, are you happy with it and what kind of gas milege do you get? Diesel would be nice, but the actual diesel is more then gas, and the up-front cost of the truck is alot more. But I would like that allison tranny. Thanks.
  2. chevytrucks84

chevytrucks84 LawnSite Member

i have a 2002 with the 6.0 mine isn't a 2500hd just a 2500 but i usually get about 9-10 mpg when pulling my trailer which may way on average 7-8K any other questions let me know

3. B. L. Landscaping

B. L. Landscaping LawnSite Member

I had an 04 ext. cab and it was a nice truck but the fuel milage was not so good. Just driving I got about 12-13 and pulling the trailer I got about 6-8 depending on what I was hauling. I sold it and got the 06 d-max and it is alot better 17 mpg driving and 11-13 pulling depending on the load and the allison is alot better.
  4. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

you can get the allison tranny with the 8.1 gasser in the 2500
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The 6.0L has a lot of ball$ for a gas engine. I like it a lot more then the Ford 5.4L. If I was searching for a truck with a gas engine, It would prolly be a GM with the 6.0!
  6. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

The 6.0 is a great motor. I have one and my buddy has one. But they do like the gas.
  7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Id go with the 8.1. You loose like 2 miles per a gallon, but its worth it when you tow.

Honestly, i'd rather have a used desiel instead of a new gasser. But i do see some smoking deals on gas work trucks.
  8. horizonmowing

horizonmowing LawnSite Member

Thank you for all of your comments. I was thinking about the 8.1 because i could get the allison (i plan to name any daughter i may have one day allison out of respect). So you may have changed my mind... The 8.1...A little less mpg, alot more power, and the allison trans.
  9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We have a 2004 chevy ext cab short bed 2500HD w/8L gas & allison. 75k miles so far. Knock on wood no problems with trans and/or engine so far. We tow landscape trailers and 12k dump trailer fairly often with it. We also salt/plow with it. However, like typical american made garbage everything else goes wrong with it...
    parking brake snaps, speedometer goes, instrument cluster replaced, rear door handle broke...twice, thermostat is flaky with AC need to pull over start/stop to get cold air back, and lots of other little tedious BS

We also have an '02 GMC 2500HD crew cab short box with 6L gasser and auto trans. 100k miles. Nothing but problems all over the place. Exhaust manifold replaced twice due to overheating issues, Finally found problem due to bad NGR valve or something or other, fuel gauge broke around 50k, AC went at 37k mile dealer basically said I'm screwed (After second truck purchase), and all the other little issues that go along (see above).

Just our experience. After three 'american' trucks we've had enough.
  10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

We just had a nice thread going on the 2500HD with the 6.0 recently. If you do a search, you can find out from that thread. I have a '04 regular cab with the 6.0. I use the wheels off it (And it shows)... I love it, except for heating up when I have my plow on the front. Lots of power, smooth, runs great, not the best mileage.. avg. about 8-9 MPG. I've pulled multiple loads of gravel weighing in excess of 10000 (5 tons) with no problems.