1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

chevy 2wd?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by A+ Lawncare, Apr 17, 2005.

1. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i got a chance to buy an 1992 chevy silverado 1500 off of my uncle.... real good shape, sprayed in bed liner, new paint job(3yrs ago) new muffler.... A+ condition..... 2wd though, am i really gonna need an 4wd for doin lawncare (mostly mowing, ect.)? its got 140k miles on the truck, what kinda offer should i give him? he said that he'de give me an no payment plan for a few months...

i'm a rising senior in high school, so i'm not sure if i'm gonna stick with lawncare/landscaping so its hard to say if i'll ever get into heavy harscaping...
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

A 2wd will do you just fine, less maintnance, gas, and insurance.
  3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Iv got the same truck it a good truck and will last. I paid 2000.0 for mine with 150.000.mil its got 210.000. now with no problems.
  4. A+ Lawncare

what kinda mpg do ya get on your truck? i hear its a 30gallon tank?

if you have a camera and don't mind shootin a few shots of your truck, i'de appreciate it.... :waving:
  5. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

The short bed Silverados have 26 gallon tanks, and the long bed trucks have 34 gallon tanks. Hope this helps! :D
  6. A+ Lawncare

i have another question, the truck does not have AC what would it cost in parts and labor to install an AC unit.... also an upgrade system (cd player) i don't want anything to fancy, but rather a nice cd player i can listen to while out driving around....
  7. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

Cd player is easy. But A/C is more trouble than it is worth. You need a compressor, condensor, Lines, New temp controller in the dash, Heater box, and misc other stuff. The only way to do it yourself would to buy a donor truck and rob it peice by peice.

Maybe you could see if a company like Vintage air http://www.vintageair.com Has a kit you could install.
  8. A+ Lawncare

The Dude

i was thinking of taking the truck to an dealer or an auto shop to have the work done, my question was directed towards what to expect to pay to have it installed/ parts & labor....
  9. A+ Lawncare

how many of ya operate trucks w/no AC units? is it really that bad in the summer w/o air..... figured you could just roll down the window to get a draft it is a work truck so u gotta be able to sacrifice comfronts
  10. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

The cost of adding "factory air" into the truck would be too cost prohibitive and you'd end up spending as much as if u went and got a truck with air already.

My 89 has no air, sometimes no heat also lol, just roll down the windows. My 05 of course has air.......the dog loves a/c.