Chevy 3500 HD

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BlackDog3, Jan 7, 2009.

1. BlackDog3

BlackDog3 LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys run Chevy/GMC 3500 HD's? I know they are a little bit older of a truck since the discontinued them in 2001 or 2002. I have been trying to find one with a 12 foot stake body on it. Seems like a good set up to me with the 14,500 to 15,000 GVW range.

Chris

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have one, 12' dump bed (stake bed with a hoist). It's a '95 with the 454. Unfortunately I can't really say a lot about it because I just acquired it in November and really haven't been able to put it to work much.

I do know it's one hell of a truck. Probably the heaviest built 1 ton out there. There's a number of people on here that have them, wait for them to chime in. All I found was good reports. Other than the lack of 4 wheel drive, I know I'm going to be happy with mine.

3. BlackDog3

I just recently found one. Its black which is great, that's one of my company colors and plus it only has 76,000 miles on it. I am sure they are not the most gentle miles but from my experience like yours, that they are one tough rig! I almost bought a cab and chassis this year but stake body beds with hoist are a pretty penny brand new!

Chris

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

They are good trucks you are better off with a 454 version even thou the gas pot is a little piggy. The 6.5 turdo diesel doesn't do well in a 15,000lb gvw truck.

If there was a cheap conversion to put a Duramax into the old 3500HDs the trucks would sell like a hot damn. Tow truck operators still want the 3500HD.

5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've driven a couple with the 6.5 diesel and they did better than I thought they would. They handled a heavy load well, but not as well as an F550.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The 3500HD is only a 15,000lb gvw truck. The tow truck guys like them because the can go into underground parking lots etc.

The F-550s are good trucks especially the 2000-2002 model they had the 135 Dana rear axle a little low geared but didn't matter if it was loaded or empty the truck pulled good.

7. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have one for sale, but it has an 8' bed I believe (would have to doube clech). It is only a flatbed that I put wooden sides on myself.

8. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

i think they are back in production,, saw an '08 3500D this evening. 4 door longbed... i was jealous.

9. BlackDog3

I did see that at the local Chevy dealerships but they all had 6.0 gassers instead of the 6.6 Duramax! Also if i would choose any motor as a replacement for the 6.5 in the older trucks it would be the 24 valve cummins!

Chris

10. jd75760

jd75760 LawnSite Member

2009 3500 HD 6.0 gas, 4X4, auto. I am very impressed with this truck. It belongs to a friend that my brother is working for. I got to ride in it today on a 250 mile trip, and it was very comfortable and seemed to have more than enough power. The fold down sides on the dump bed made loading and unloading easy. It rides a lot better than my F-350, and I hate to admit it, but I believe it would pull my 7.5 liter backwards LOL. I Googled Chevrolet dump trucks and found a dealer with 08's left for under $21,000 with a 10' dump bed and 4X4.

bobbys truck and  car wash 001.jpg