1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

chevy 3500 or ford f-450

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ted5487, Mar 26, 2006.

1. ted5487

ted5487 LawnSite Member

Looking at these two trucks to install a 12 foot flatbed on. Truck number one is a 1993 Chevrolet 2wd, automatic, 68k original miles, same owner last 5 years with records, very meticulous. Truck number two is a 1999 Ford F-450, automatic, 2wd, 170k miles, no records, it is at a dealer. Both trucks run fine and are within a couple hundred dollars of each other, the Chevy being the more expensive one. Any thoughts, I only plan on transporting my mowing equipment on the flatbed, I usually only carry 1300 pounds, and would never go over 2000. Gas mileage is not a big concern as I put less than 8000 a year on my mowing rig. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

What the 450 a gas or diesel, if its diesel i would say go with the Diesel cause its that much new and those miles are high for the 7.3L. Thats my opinon but keep in mind im just a highschool kid. :rolleyes:
  3. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

The F450 would be a harsh riding truck due to the springs and 19.5 commercial tires. If you are not hauling HEAVY loads then the 3500 would be the best choice.
    Test drive both and see which one your kidneys like.
  4. ted5487

ted5487 LawnSite Member

V10, sorry about that
  5. ted5487

ted5487 LawnSite Member

and the Chevy is the 5.7 V8

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Of the two I don't understand why a 1999 is a similar price as a 1993. The 450 will carry more, has better brakes and a stronger frame but a disgusting trasnmission. The 3500 will carry less, has arguably the worst brakes ever put in a truck (if you get 15000 miles out of the fronts you're lucky) but has a stronger tranny. So it's about what you are looking to do. And about how much can you afford to keep fixing. The brakes are more of an anoyance. If the tranny goes plan on 2K.
    your call. How much is your time worth?
  7. ted5487

ted5487 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the brake info Bill, when you say the worst brakes, does that also effect the stopping distance? And you also seem to know transmissions, do you know which one would be in this truck? At one time I had an older GMC that had I think a turbo 400 3 speed which I was very happy with. I tried to look up which one this 93 had, maybe a 4 speed overdrive? 4860L, forgive me if I have that model designation wrong.
  8. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

Being a Ford guy, I first was thinking go with the F450, but with the gas burner having that many miles on it, I think I would go with with Chevy. Man it hurts to say that. Either truck with easily tote your load, the ford will ride rougher(is that a word?), tires more expensive as well. I do like the look of the Super Duty( I have one), just not sure how many more miles you can get out of that V10.
    Good luck.
  9. ted5487

ted5487 LawnSite Member

thanks Madstriper, I am leaning toward the Chevy. I do agree that the Ford is good looking, and it is white, the Chevy is blue. I'm so indecisive, I think I'm 51/49 in favor of the Chevy, but that may change. Do you know how much money tires are for the F450, a lot of people mention that the tires are expensive. the tires looked pretty new that were on both. Thanks again.
  10. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

the tires on the 450 will run you somewhere between 275 and 300 a piece. Of course that is what I paid. I have a 2004 f550 4wd diesel. As for riding rough, i guess i am biased because I on one but I would prefer the 450. If you are looking for a truck to ride more like a car than the 300 is for you if you want a truck then get the 450.