1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

chevy 3500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Mar 31, 2008.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So I'm considering a Chevy 3500 at the moment with landscape body.....that dumps. What is up in the air is will I keep my '02 2500HD thats worth, I guess, $12,000. I'm leaning towards gas engine (6.0L) due to the diesel being a $7,300 option and that it would take around 80,000 miles to pay for it in fuel mileage savings.

Anybody plowing with a 3500 that is 2WD? I want 4WD but thought I'd throw that thought out there. Dually + weight seems to be okay.......remember, I'm in northern VA, not North Dakota.

What fuel mileage are those of you with 3500's seeing in the 6.0L and the DMAX? I'm assuming around 9mpg gas and 14mpg diesel?

I'm torn between ext cab and shorter bed (10'?) or regular cab and longer bed (12'?). Not so much for hauling people but place to put a blower etc.

I think I can get an '08 gasser 3500 cab and chasis around $23,000ish but then another $6,000ish for dump body and boxes. Which leads me to looking used vs new.

A 4500 would be nice but a 4x4 model is hard to come by. Then the 8.1L gas option has power but even worse fuel economy.
  2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

4x4 isn't needed. I know a guy that has a '03 6.0 Chevy 3500 10' flatdeck with an 8' plow and its a RWD dualie... and I'm in Canada! Diesel is becoming a PITA since the price is going up and up, but in the long run it could be the better option if you want to tow the dump trailer.
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you can get the 3500HD not the old style truck but I think Chevy is making the 3500 a model with a heavier than 12,000lb gvw.

As for body length I wouldn't go any shorter than 11 feet long especially if you are going to be hauling light bulky stuff like tree branches.

As for plowing with a 2wd it can be done with chains a 4x4 dually doesn't do much better. The dual wheels float on top so you need single chains on the outside wheels.

Why do you want to get into plowing anyways it will just ruin the truck :cry:

I have heard the 6.0 is a pig on fuel.
  4. kubotab7200

kubotab7200 LawnSite Member
    from Newkirk

yes the 6.0 is a pig on fuel my hd 4x4 crew cab gets 12 mpg it has an ass load of power though. i like the way it huals and pulls just not 2 crazy about the mpg, hell the fuel injected 454 got better than that!
  5. Gravel Rat

It is hard to beat the old venerable 454 it was the best engine Chevy ever made. Lots of power :laugh:
  6. kubotab7200

kubotab7200 LawnSite Member
    from Newkirk

ya i liked em, the vortec 454 was a friggin beast i would still buy one just cant find a good deal on one. i had a rental truck on a construction job that had a 454 in it, you wouldnt believe the loads we put behind that thing it seemed like nothin would slow it down. that one got about 13 but it had a 32 foot gooseneck behind it the whole time i drove it.
  7. Cedar Valley Landscapes

Cedar Valley Landscapes LawnSite Member

I just sold my 01 chevy 3500 hd dump. It had the 454 in it, and man could that thing pull for a gasser. Also it had a 2wd and never had a problem plowing. Only one time I was sliding around, but that was because I was trying to push 9 inches of wet snow from a dead stop. Also I had a 10' dump bed on it which seemed to be plenty to haul anything. The one problem that I would see with a longer dump would be the ease of overloading, espically going to a quarry or supplier.
  8. Gravel Rat

You just have to be carefull when you have a 1 ton truck with a larger box but for hauling light materials a big box is a must.
  9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

no replacement for displacement
  10. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i'm averaging around 16-17 mpg on my duramax. from what i understand the earlier duramax engines did a little better on the fuel.