Chevy 5.0 liter fan always running

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Triple L, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, I got a 93 chev 1500 with a 5.0 liter. The fan is always running, I know it's supposed to spin but it is fully ingaged and I think that's also why I'm getting such bad fuel ecomony, and why it's so gutless. Is there anyway to disengage the fan.

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is your fan clutch gone bad?

3. Triple L

i don't know, how can you tell.

4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The most immediate solution would be to convert it to an electric fan, which does not take away power. Keep in mind the 305 only had roughly 195 horsepower in the pre-Vortec days.

5. Triple L

most of the electric fan's iv seen arnt cheap

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You can tell if the fan clutch is gone when you try spin the fan with the engine off and cool engine the fan doesn't spin smooth. Also if you truck sounds like a jet engine the fan is roaring.

I would probably stick with a engine driven fan it will be cheaper to replace and easier to install. A properly working fan shouldn't rob that much power from the engine.

7. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

New fan clutch for a 305 is only about 25.00. payup
    Electric fan can run 150.00-200.00. :realmad:

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You're better off with a 4.3 V6 engine.

Anyways, if your fan won't spin easily with the motor off, replace it. Maybe prev. owner put a "heavy" clutch in it, if so, it is about 1.5"-2.0" thick, otherwise its just froze up. Maybe someone in Phoeniz could use it, where its always hot and constant fan is welcome.

KB