Chevy 6.5 Diesel Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mowman16, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

I know there are other threads about this but not specific enough. I'm looking at a 1995 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 suburban with 185k on it, the injector pump just started to quit, do they "start to quit" or just quit, I know nothing about a diesel except they smell cool:laugh:. The truck is in descent shape for it's age, the U-joints were just replaced and one power window dosen't work. It started right up with no smoke. Iv'e heard the 6.5 is not a very good motor, is this true or no? I only want it to pull 2 ztrs and my boat so even a gutless motor can do that:weightlifter: . The seller is asking 3k for it, dose that sound fair? (KBB in good condition is over $6,300) I can get it repaired for 1,000. What do you think the life expectancy is on the motor if well maintained?
    Sorry for a long post but this is a large investment for a 16 year old kid!
  2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i would pass...the old gm diesel is not very good. they dont tow very well at all, they just get pretty good fuel mileage. and they break down alot.
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't buy one they are not a very good engine. With that kind of mileage on the motor now its running on borrowed time.
  5. GG386

GG386 LawnSite Member

That's the exact motor that changed me over to Ford! Biggest piece of **** I ever owned- more shop time than road time.

Injector pumps- keep stock on them cause you WILL need them. Keep the 3K and run from that one!
  6. aalawnmower

aalawnmower LawnSite Member
    from ND

I have that same truck it has been in my family since day one and has 225K on it and is running just like the day it was drove off the lot.
  7. Tlc_concept

Tlc_concept LawnSite Member

Id pass, My family had a 96 3500 6.5, it did not have enough power to get out of its own way! Never mind loaded, Id get a ford powerstroke w/ 250k miles before this! Aim for a 95.5 & up fords, or dodge cummins, There both super relieable! The new duramax is a great motor, in fact My family bought an 05 after we swore we would never get another again! But your proll not looking to go that high. Just my 2 cents
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at a '93 with a 6.5 in it. The overwhelming consensus was to run away! It's a gas 350 engine that's bored out and converted to diesel. There's no where near enough oil in the engine, Starters burn up annualy, amoung a laundry list of other problems that plauge them. One out of ?? were good engines and would go for a long time, but most blew up at 60,000 miles or so.
  9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Steer clear of the 6.5. The chevrolet gassers are okay.
  10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I own a 95 3500 4X4 dually with the 6.5. Good truck and good motor. It aint a duramax or powerstroke or even a cummings. it is what it is. A small dependable low hp diesel engine. You mentioned your injector pump starting to quit, does the truck flash the service engine light, get the codes read before just bolting on expensive parts. It might not be the injector pump. It might be as simple as a $12 oil sending unit. The oils sending unit supplies power for the lift pump that provides fuel to the injector pump. The lift pump itself might be bad, $50-$80 bucks for a new one. The motor will still run with a bad lift pump or bad oil sending unit, just not as well, but running the truck with the lift pump not working will wear out the injector pump and thats big $$$. I feel most 6.5 injector pump failures can probably be traced back to the lift pump not supplying the fuel to the injector pump.

The pulling power of the 6.5 can also be attributed to axle gearing. Some of the suburban and pickup trucks had gas mileage gear ratios. If you are going to tow with the truck, look for one with at least 4:10 gears, 4:56 are even better. Your fuel milaeage will suffer from the lower gears, but you will be much happier when you hook to a trailer and hit a big hill.