Chevy 6.5L Turbodiesel?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by genesis215, Jun 20, 2008.

1. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

Could anyone give me their unbiased opinion about this engine? Please do not send replies about it not having enough power; power does not matter to me. Does it have alot of reliability problems? I already know about the '94-'97 injection pumps having problems. Anything else? Any advice from your experiences with it would be great. I am considering maybe a 3/4-ton Suburban with this engine if it is a good one.

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

They aren't anything special. As you mentioned, they are weak and have IP troubles in some years. The crank is a weak spot on some of them. They are pretty fuel efficient. If it had been well maintained, not abused, and I didn't intend to work it very hard I'd consider one.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure the 97.5 or 98's had some design changes that made them more durable then earlier years. It seems like many of themaround here that are for sale (no matter what year) seem to catch fire a lot. I've looked at close to 10 of those in different truck applications and 2/3s of them had new wiring harnesses, needed melted wires replaced or just smelled like they were gonna ignite at any moment.

4. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 97 snap the crankshaft at 130,000 kms, it was the second engine in the truck already. POS

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The 6.5 is a turd engines they are not that great I wouldn't buy one they have to be the worst diesel engine in a P/U out there.

Here is one Corvairwild loves his chevvvroleett :laugh:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAOOdhDowfE