Chevy brings the 8.1 BACK!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Oakleaf landscape, May 19, 2011.

1. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

My buddy picked up a new 2500 HD with the 8.1 in it. Bad ass motor. It's not on there website yet. Just to let you guys know.

2. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

Yep............plenty of power! Too bad it uses 5w30 oil! GM states that acceptable oil consumption of the 8.1L is up to 1 qt per 1000 miles under heavy use (towing......etc)

How do I know this................I own one.......and it does.....and GM issued a letter to me thru my dealer regarding the oil consumption.

My 03 2500HD currently has 167,000 miles on it. Runs very well.........but uses its share of black gold ! I think its BS. I wish waited for the Duramax ! Since the 8.1 comes with the same Alison tranny and chassis setup.
    :gmctruck:

3. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Yea but the 8.1 A LOT cheaper...

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

That's Awesome!

I love the 8.1 in my 01 3500HD. Has the 4l80E behind it though, but so far it's been a great truck and tranny combo.

Yes, does consume some oil. I'm at less than half a quart every 1000 miles though.

Another thing that sucks is the lifter chatter at startup. My 4.3 in my s-10 does the same thing. Doesn't take long for it to go away also.

ConstSvcs- You can put 10w30 in the 8.1 down to -15*F if I recall. After that then they say to use the 5w30.

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Sweet!!!!!

6. BlackBirdWS.6

BlackBirdWS.6 LawnSite Member

Man would I love to have an 8.1l, I might have to trade up.

7. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

Do you or your buddy have an external source? I just checked out both the Chevy and GMC websites. For 2011, the only engines offered are the 6.0 Vortec gas, and the 6.6 Duramax diesel.

I also googled "GM brings back 8.1" and got no current information to confirm.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I think the greatest thing about the 8.1 is it's an industrial/marine motor to begin with.

From all my research and looking around, I haven't found anyone who has blown or trashed an 8.1.

9. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

just bought a 01...pulls like no other, especially out of a gas station! ha ha

10. ACC_INC.

ACC_INC. LawnSite Member

10 mpg and it drinks a quart of oil every third fill up??? How is this remotly economical? Don't get me wrong, I love big HP, but I don't like throwing money away. Does the burnt oil leave deposits all over the motor? Where does all the ash go? (Ash is a metal partical in oil, it is not found in 2 cycle oil, which is why 2 cycle can burn oil, not 4 cycle) It seems like a poor design to me.

Please educate.
    Posted via Mobile Device