1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

chevy colorado/gmc canyon

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by terrapro, Feb 26, 2007.

1. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone have one of these or have rode in one. ive been thinking about picking up one of the 4-door 4-wheel drive versions this summer for running around and light maintenance work. possibly towing around the 4x8 trailer also when needed.
  2. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

Those trucks arent really 4 wheel drive, although they say they are and they have a 4wheel drive mode, they are more like awd. Still is better than 2wd but not as good as the full size trucks
  3. terrapro

if the 4x4 is anything like the fullsize versions push button all wheel drive option i would consider it a selling point. my 99 2500 had the push button 4-hi, 4-low, or all-wheel option and loved it. i dont think i had ever really used the regular 4x4 options the all-wheel option was so impressive.
  4. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

I drove a 4dr 4wd through the Canadian Rockies last winter, in heavy ice and snow.

Surefooted but loves to drink the gas.
  5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

oh god, don't even think about using a gmc canyon, or colorado for landscaping work. i love the looks of them and was gonna buy one, but i got like 20 pages of pure insults on me, my financial status, and my quality of work.
  6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I would look for a 1500, its a lot more truck and you get about 17-18mpg.
  7. twisted_r1

twisted_r1 LawnSite Member

I have a 2005 Colorado, I live in NJ s we don't get mountains of snow, but it did great in what snow we did have and fine off road when i take it hunting. I towed a race car every weekend for one season so far, and towed too many other cars to count. I'm not saying it would pull a 20 ft enclosed, but if your getting a 12 ft trailer w/ a mower or two, i don't see a problem. (i have a 4dr 4x4) I don't know why anyone would make fun of your "financial status" my truck sticker was 35k. I know thats not a Porsche but thats enough dough for me, but if thats what your worried about you could all ways get a hummer.
  8. terrapro

i have my 3/4ton which handles anything i can throw at it, especially gas. it gets like 7-8mpg towing, plowing, hauling, or normal driving it doesnt matter. it just loves to eat gas which is why i was thinking of a smaller truck for putzin around when i wouldnt need a bigger truck. in the middle of summer when im just doing maintenance i dont need a big truck to pull weeds or deadhead some daylillies. a couple buckets, some prunners, a rake, blower, and shovel is really all i need to bring with me so why spend the extra gas. thats why i would be interested in one.