1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Colorado Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BigMulch, Jun 27, 2012.

1. BigMulch

BigMulch LawnSite Member

Hey I need some help picking a trailer for my 2006 chevy colorado 3.5L. I need something to tow my 48in walk behind mower and trimmer, blower and a 21in walk behind. What would be the best trailer size to get for my truck. Thanks

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

A 5X8 or 5X10 will give a little extra room. Will tow and stop great. Easy on the wallet. Be sure to get a 3500lb axle. 2ft mesh sides are useful too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 4x8 trailer. 42" and 20" mowers.

Owning a 4x8 I would skip a 5x8 or 5x10 and go to a 6x12 or 7x12.

You won't be able to fit a 60" mower on a 5' wide trailer and if the mower has a bagger or trac vac there is a good chance the mower won't fit on a 6' wide trailer.

You may not be ready to move up to a bigger mower now but who knows in a year our two. You didn't own that trailer long enough for it to pay for itself.

I have done a few clean up's where going from a 4x8 to a 5x8/10 will still of had me make more then one trip to the dump.

4. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Dakota and pull a 6.5x12 with it no problems. I have it loaded with 1 ztr and 1 WB and either a 21" or lawn vac and a variety of power hand held on racks. Prior to that I had a 5x10 that would hold a 21" and the WB but wasn't big enough to hold the ztr too. Go bigger you won't regret it

5. kyia

kyia LawnSite Member

Wife had a 05 Colorado with the 3.5 as well. I towed my 20' ranger with it a couple of time with no problem. True it knew it was there but it did fine with it. So i would be good with anything also long as its got some breaks.

6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Big as the bank allows. Trailor brakes on it are a good option to make sure you stop
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

V-6 Colorado - not much guts. With your equipment and to allow some growth I would not go over 6x12. I would not even consider an enclosed pulled by a Colorado, you'd better go open utility. I pull a 7x14 enclosed with my 4.7 V8 Dakota and it does alright, except in a strong headwind/high temperature day it struggles just a bit I have to take my time. Just an FYI.

8. KV9064

KV9064 LawnSite Member

I has the same truck 06 Colorado 3.5 4x4 I pull a 77" X 10' trailer 20" wood sides, and mesh tailgate, 48 JD walkbehind, as long as I dont have a head wind its fine otherwise the truck has to stay out of OD. Thinking of buying a Triton or Aluma trailer they are about half the weight,

9. bshustack

bshustack LawnSite Member

I have a 6x10 with wood floors and I pull it with a 98 grand cherokee has the 5.2 in it and I thought it was going to be a good size but down the road your going to add more or bigger mowers. I should have went with what most of the people are telling you 6.5x12 or 7x 12 anything bigger get with the dubl...axles. Just my thought's

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012