1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chevy Crew Cab 1500 HD 4X4

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Total.Lawn.Care, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering the option of buying a new truck (upgrading over my '94 F-150) and I just looked at this one.

It is a 2001, Chevy Silverado 1500HD, Crew Cab 4X4. Has the 6.0 Gas Engine and 97,000 miles on it.

My questions are, what is the difference in a 1500 and a 1500 HD?
    What is the difference in a 1500HD and a 2500?

I am currently towing about 5500 - 6000 lbs regularly and my F-150 is wearing out. I know that this truck can handle it, but what are the max limit tow capacities of this truck. Can it support hauling a skid steer?

I really want an F-250 PSD, but I cannot put out that much cash right now for one in good enough shape to justify the purchase. Keep in mind that this would be a work truck and a personnal please truck for our family.

Also, does anyone have one of these trucks and what kind of mileage do you get? Do you kow how the rearend is geared in this truck? I am looking for specs now.
    Thanks for your opinions.
  2. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Remember, its a Half Ton pickup, with a ton of (to me) miles on it. I'd look for something better.
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Considering I am towing now with a half ton that has 267,000 miles on it, this is like a new truck to me.

Yes, I do realize that it is a half ton, so what are the differences in a 1500 and a 1500HD, likewise the 1500HD and a 2500?
  4. climber

climber LawnSite Member

For the 1500 carring a skid steer... It will do it but will have trouble stopping it! Not enough truck there to slow it down... For the differences the 1500 is your base truck and alot of different packages to choose from 5 I think. Now the 1500HD only 3 packages to choose from and different gear ratios. For the 2500 now you have the option of the Duramax and Allison combo ( best combo ever) and more truck to stop your skid steer! Hope that helps...

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

1500hd and 2500 = same......cab differences set them apart

2500hd bumps you up to a heavier frame and option of a 8.1L gas or Dmax

how much is the truck you're looking at?
  6. Total.Lawn.Care

This 1500HD I can get for $13K. I drove it today and it is really sweet. Keeping in mind that this would also be a daily driver, pleaseure truck and well as lawn care work truck, it has Leather seats, CD and Cassette, and other options.

I was impressed that it had a transmission temp gauge in it. It drove really well and is in great shape.
  7. Total.Lawn.Care

I have been doing alot of research on the Chevy 1500HD in comparison to a 2500HD. Here is what I have found:

They both come standard with the 6.0 Gas Engine
    They both come standard with Automatic 4 Speeed Tranny
    They have the same curb weight (within 100 lbs)
    Same towing capicity for trailers with the 4.10 rear end
    Same size brakes with same stopping disctance

Only real difference I say was the 2500HD has a greater payload capacity than the 1500HD. (but only by 30 lbs) Probably due to different rear springs.

So, for all intensive purposes, there is no difference between the 1500 HD and a 3/4 Ton truck.

Here is the VIN. 1GCGK13U71F198832 Can anyone tell me where I can look up the stick specifications on this truck. I want to see if it has the 4.10 rear or the 3.73. That would be the only diferences in capacity. I drove it yesterday and I think it has the 4.10. Same as a 2500HD.
  8. Total.Lawn.Care

Just picked it up today. Drives great and runs like Brand New. I will be posting pics this weekend. It will be Saturday at the earliest before I get to pull with it. I gotta install a new Receiver Hitch. I guess the last owner decided to keep the one that came on this truck.
  9. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

1500hd is best truck available if you dont want to go with a diesel or the 8.1.

You will love the truck, I have had one since feb last year and have had zero problems with it.