Chevy Duramax Diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLI1, Jan 9, 2004.

1. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone out there have a newer Chevy w/ the Duramax diesel engine? If so, do you like it, hate it? What kind of mileage do you get with or without pulling a trailer. How does it compare to Fords Powerstroke? Any comments would be appreciated!

2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

alittle of the subject. but i saw a chevy duramax diesil on a ford forum, it was a 2500 four door with a chip propane etc. it ran a 11.9 quarter mile the guy even had footage at the track on the sight. I ALMOST SH*T thats FAST

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Got two. '02 model crew cabs. I have only checked the mileage one time and I was getting 24 mpg empty. I traded a powerstroke for one of them. No comparison. The Chevy beats it in every department. The allison is the stuff for towing. It gears down just like you could with a standard tranny. Makes pulling heavy loads a breeze! I pull this JD with no problem and it is no baby tractor! :D

mvc-405s.jpg

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out www.pacificp.com They have some vids of one beating a Z06 and two mustangs in a quarter. One of the "stangs" was supercharged. The truck was putting out over 700 RWHP and over 1200 ft/lbs of torque!

Mine is chipped/intake work/exhaust work. Getting a little over 400 hp and 800 ft/lbs of torque.

5. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

rookiemower, that was actually a ford with a twin turbo cummins transplated! and yes I did **** myself when I saw that:D

6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

The Duramax is a proven engine. Its the same basic motor as in the Isuzu/GM cabovers. In my opinion its a WAY better motor than the Ford corn binder Power Choke.

7. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

I have a 2003 Chev 2500HD with Duramax and I love it. Gets better fuel milage than my Toyota four banger with 33" tires.
    My buddy has a GMC 3500 Duramax dually and we haul a 36' pace race car trailer with it and it hauls no problem. We weighed it at an empty scale one time and it showed 26 000 lbs.

8. myoder

myoder LawnSite Member

I have a 03' GMC 2500HD with Duramax/allison and love everything about it. It has more than enough power, 16-17 mpg in city and 20-23 mpg on highway, towing around 16 with a 20' enclosed trailer. Awesome truck, engine, and tranny.

9. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Ford, Chevy or Dodge you just cant beat the Diesel! :D

10. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys for all your input, You've got me sold. You all have a great weekend!!