Chevy, Ford,or Dodge?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Green Team Landscaping, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you landscapers out there use? Im going to be looking for a truck soon, and I am going to need something reliable and strong enough to pull a 20'(tops, maybe more like a 16'), Full of Z-turns and other neccecities(spelling?). Does anyone have any reccomendations, and also I dont know very much about engines and their power, so would I be looking at a 2500 of a 1500? 1500 V8 that is.

2. Green Team Landscaping

Oh, and one more thing: I only have about $5,000 to work with, so i would need an affordable truck.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

3/4 ton or larger so 2500 or bigger. I like Ford, Chevy or gmc for 2nd. If you can find an older mid 90's f250, the 351 5.8L v-8 was a decent engine. Mine usually gets 10-11 steady even pulling my 12' trailer. Pulling my 16' trailer and it gets about 8.75.

4. Green Team Landscaping

Yeah, thats what I was looking at, and they seem decent, and like they'd last quite a while. Thanks for the input.

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

here we go..............................................

6. Green Team Landscaping

lol i didnt mean to start up this "war" again. i just wanted opinions

7. RLC LLC

RLC LLC LawnSite Member

find a 7.3 ford 1 ton, i have been beating on mine for 5 years plowing and towing. i avg 12 per gal fully loaded. and im on my first tranny. solid truck. buy a bigger truck than you think you need and it will last longer. 1/2 ton trucks are toys not work.

8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I like chevy, you could probably get a good 3/4 ton mid 90's for 5g JMO

9. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

GMC
    I find like the styling of 2004 gmc like my mothers truck.
    the 5.3V8 has got to be the best motor they made imo making 295hp form the factory is amazing for a small V8. The New ones make 300hp. I get 15.1 unloaded in town sometimes better if my foot doesnt get heavy.
    but back to subject of price the older mid 90s GMC and chevy are popping up for sale around here more and more and there well under five grand.
    It starting to seem new half ton trucks are getting closer to the older trucks.
    but what would be best about the older trucks is having NO PAYMENTs cant stress engough how nice that is. you could probley even get a older gm truck even cheaper now. just stay away from the 6.5 diesel stick to the good old 350 or 454.

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

o dear... just go drive em. this has been beating to death! we dont need another one of these threads. go to autotrader, enter your price range, and start looking.