Chevy HD vs Ford 350 vs dogde 3500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by meets1, Dec 16, 2006.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

IS there much of a difference? One local guy we did some work for has the 06 ford 350. I have the 06 chevy HD 2500. The other guy had a new dodge 3500 to. All these are single axles trucks and wondering why chevy/gm doesn't make a single axle 3500??

2. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Chevy makes a 3500 single axle. You just have to special order it! Its just not on as an option on there website. I dont know why but I wish they did..

Dan

3. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

I lean toward Gm then dodge, forget the ford way overrated to many problems. My 2500 hauls more and better than my f-550. Better mileage, heavier load less struggle, durability, and better braking.

4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

dont forget about the cummins the best of the three diesels. however when you combine the duramax with the allison thats great pair you got there. the powerstroke i have my doubts about because they had a great thing going with the 7.3 then they went to the 6.0 and had a boat load of problems and a bunch of guys say theyre under powered so now theyre going to the 6.8 twin turbo...well see how this one goes

5. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Not around here. Dealerships keep single axle 3500's on the lots. I would have bought one if you could get a short bed 3500 single...not an option.

6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

So they are out there but the dealership just doesn't push the 3500. I would certianly get one but then again I usually have the hd 4door with short box so therefore maybe that wouldn't even apply to me. I know fords 350 is a 4 door with short box why not GM?

7. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

To bad Dodge makes the worst transmissions of them all...

8. DBL

gm only makes a short bed 69.3 inches on crew cab models. on the extended cab model you can get the short bed or a standard bed of 78.7 inches. the regular cab you can get the short standard and long bed option of 97.6 inches

this is all right from their website

9. DBL

when i have a problem with any of my 3 ill let you know

10. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

haven't had a problem with the tranny in my dodge, just a front ball joint. Covered under warranty though. My chevy was back to the dealer 3 times for various problems the first 13 months that I owned it. My ford was back for its 3rd tranny and 2nd turbo after only 6 months. So far Dodge is ahead, but i'll give it more time before I proclaim a winner to this never-ending question. =o(